Yet another reason to take the Voyager/Sea Hunter

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Yet another reason to take the Voyager/Sea Hunter

Post by johnhens »

Came across this on Yahoo this AM. The drive from Duluth to Grand Portage was chosen as one of the 10 best scenic drives in the US. Those who have done the drive know what I am talking about. Those that have not should consider it!!
http://travel.yahoo.com/ideas/top-10-al ... tml?page=6
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Re: Yet another reason to take the Voyager/Sea Hunter

Post by MikeT »

I agree it is a scenic drive, but the drive up from Houghton to Copper Harbor, for those who have taken it, is pretty scenic too.
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Rafiki »

I say go where ever you are closest to. With the gas prices the way they are, this becomes a factor. I understand if someone opts to drive an hour further to take the Isle Queen in Copper Harbor over the Ranger III in Houghton, therefore, it really becomes a matter of Isle Queen/Ranger III or Voyaguer/Sea Hunter.
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

Try this drive at night--towing a trailer.

Under these circumstances, I rate it as one of the worst I've done. Not quite as bad as MI 28 across the U.P., though.
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

Tampico wrote:Try this drive at night--towing a trailer.

Under these circumstances, I rate it as one of the worst I've done. Not quite as bad as MI 28 across the U.P., though.
Great. I'm taking 28 from Houghton to Indian River Saturday after the Ranger docks so I can fish on with some friends on Sunday before heading home. Looks like I've got about 140 miles of MI 28 to navigate. I'd told my son it would be "awesome drive". :lol:
JustinB
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by JustinB »

I took 28 from the bridge to Munising (I-123 to I-28) last year, and I thought the roads were in great shape. It was a pretty easy drive, although we didn't have a trailer. Hope your travels go well!
Capt Don
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 546

Post by Capt Don »

Tampico wrote:Try this drive at night--towing a trailer.

I have, many times, towing boats and in a semi and in the winter no less. There are far more challenging roads elsewhere. The road is much better than it was 30 years ago.
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

The road is in terrific condition, that wasn't my problem; pitch blackness with animals crossing the road made it a real treat. Downbound semi's with bright-as-the-sun lighting made it interesting as well.

MI 28 was pretty-much the same. There isn't much of a shoulder, and the trees grow high enough on both sides to form a canopy. At night, it's easy to get hypnotized by the road, but the occasional black bear or deer darting out in the road usually takes care of that.

I'm just complaining. They're fine roads. When you live in a city and are used to at least some light, it's challenging to drive in pitch blackness, even with HID headlights.
LeftOvers
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Post by LeftOvers »

I'll be making the trip to Grand Portage early next month - hope I reach the North Shore before sunset. Enticing picture in that link.