How do you include fresh fish in your menu plan?

Discuss food & groceries, share recipes, and other backcountry cooking & food-related topics here!

Moderator: hooky

Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: How do you include fresh fish in your menu plan?

Post by Lucky Chicken »

I'll revive an old thread here... I am a planner so I am looking at next year's trip already.

Most of these suggestions involve a campfire or a grill. Which is fine in some campgrounds, but we will be at quite a few "no fire" campgrounds. With just and UL backpacking stove and small pot how do you cook fish?

I don't want to up my weight a bunch but would love to have fresh fish!

PS: what kind of fishing rod is that in the last picture? It looks like a reel without a rod...
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by IncaRoads »

Lucky Chicken wrote: What kind of fishing rod is that in the last picture? It looks like a reel without a rod...
Emmrod Fishing Gear…
http://www.emmrod.com
Redbad
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by Redbad »

I bring a batter (the recipe is in the NOLS outdoor cooking book) in ziplock bag. I then place the filets in the bag and coat them with the batter.

To cook, I bring a Banks Frybake covered frying pan (an alternative would be a backpacking frying pan or even a pot cover) and cook over my backpacking stove. A Frybake really gives several options but even a pot cover will work. Bring along some extra oil. You might have to use a flame diffuser or rotate the pan frequently to avoid burning the fish.
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Lucky Chicken »

I see in the regulations that a "stick stove" is allowed. Would a metal pan that you made a fire on to make coals and then burried filets in foil in them count as a stick stove?

edit: like a "fire pan"... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_pan
drobarge
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 24

Post by drobarge »

Lucky Chicken wrote:I see in the regulations that a "stick stove" is allowed. Would a metal pan that you made a fire on to make coals and then burried filets in foil in them count as a stick stove?

edit: like a "fire pan"... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_pan
I've done this many times... I'm not sure it's "allowed" My interpretation of the rule is: if it contains the fire , ash and does not scorch the ground beneath while burning wood smaller in diameter than your wrist.... go for it.
Damon S
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by Damon S »

Yep, I use the Emrod for trolling on Superior and have landed some pretty big salmon and lake trout. Perfect setup.
IRexpat
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 11

Post by IRexpat »

Tampico wrote:
jerry wrote:I let the folks who just came back from L. Superior fishing do all the work. They filet it, cook it and say, "Oh by the way, help yourself." I had some lake trout Saturday evening at the Chippewa Harbor dock. Lucky me. Took my calorie count up to about 3000 for the day.
I like stories like this. Me and my party have done the same.

ETA: Fed hikers fish, that is...
Best fish I've ever eaten was a cast-off gift from some boaters at Siskowit on my first trip; thick slabs of (?), perfectly seasoned and cooked. They had had a great day on the Lake and took pity on us...
It's not Heaven, but they can see IR from there...
tripplelindy
NewbieCake

Post by tripplelindy »

I know this post is kinda old ....but I'll add that boiled fish is one of my favorite ways to eat it! I'm a power boater, but from a hikers perspective...my wife turned me on to coconut oil...kind of a paste that she keeps in the cupboard so it needs no refrigeration..and its heathy...pack some in a small container...along with some lemon pepper and a little salt......man o man is it good!
Gimp
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by Gimp »

tripplelindy wrote:I know this post is kinda old ....but I'll add that boiled fish is one of my favorite ways to eat it! I'm a power boater, but from a hikers perspective...my wife turned me on to coconut oil...kind of a paste that she keeps in the cupboard so it needs no refrigeration..and its heathy...pack some in a small container...along with some lemon pepper and a little salt......man o man is it good!
tripplelindy - I'm always looking for a cleaner and easier solution so I tried your lemon pepper and coconut oil recommendation at home. It tasted great. It was less of a preparation mess than using fry coating and I have decided that it will be the recipe for my IR trip this summer.
tripplelindy
NewbieCake

Post by tripplelindy »

Gimp..Good deal! Glad you liked it