Questions, answers, suggestions and/or opinions about this web board or, the Isle Royale Info web site. If it's a Web Board or Web Site operational question, check here for an answer or, to ask a question.

Moderator: fonixmunkee

Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

Hi all,

When I try to upload an avatar it tells me it needs to be a max size of 6K. When I resize a jpeg of myself to 6K it is way too pixilated. What's the secret to uploading a photo for an avatar?

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: Avatar

Post by Midwest Ed »

Bob,

What are you using to "re-size" the jpg? There most likely will be a tool (slider bar or text box) to allow the alteration of the quality. The quality setting is probably set too low for the image dimensions.

It also could be that you are reducing the file size by simply reducing the quality. Instead, reduce the size by reducing the dimensions, the length and width (sometimes called re-sampling). Reasonable numbers for a square picture avatar would be about 80 X 80 pixels. I'm not sure of the maximum dimensions allowed.

~Ed
Last edited by Midwest Ed on Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

The secret is in the cropping of the photo. Try to reduce the size of the photo by cropping it some.

I recommend Picasa. It's a Google product that is excellent for basic picture editing.
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Rafiki »

I am making a reply to this post even though it is over a year old, because you still don't seem to have an avatar Keweenaw and because there are others in the future that may want some assistance on this same matter. If you make an account at www.photobucket.com (it will take less than 2 minutes and its free) you can upload any pictures you want to the site. From there you select a picture after it is uploaded and click edit. This will bring you to an editting screen where you look for an option called resize. In the resize field it will give you the option to adjust the pixels found in the height and width. Type in the number 80 in the first field since you avatar picture is only allowed to have a maximum of 80 Pixels X 80 Pixels. When you do this the height of the picture will be adjusted to 80 pixels and the width of the picture will automatically be adjusted to a complimentary width based off of the height. If for some reason when you do this and the automatic number that is generated is over 80 pixels, start with the width field being set at 80 pixels first so it will generate a complimentary height that is less than 80 pixels. Once this is done click save. After the picture is saved, right click it and save it to your computer. There you have it. Your done! Now all you have to is upload the newly editted picture onto your profile through the user control panel. Hope this helps Keweenaw if you ever get around to seeing this and most importantly I hope it helps anyone in the future who is having difficulties finding a picture that is properly sized to be their avatar.
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

I followed all the instructions in this thread and in the other one and I still can' t make the avatar work.I resized and cropped the jpg down to 75x75 and 1.86 kb, I also tried to use one that was 35 x35 and something in the bits range.it keeps telling me that my jpg is too large like 90 x90 no matter what I resize to......help please and thanks.

Jason

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Hello fonixmunkee.one more question on the avatar.I know this is an unimportant topic.When trying to change avatar it also says failure to connect, contact forum administrator.I am asking because possibly more people are having a similar problem and simply give up.If this is an issue I figure you may want to know.
I figure it has more to do with me being technology challenged.

Sorry for any mix up, and thank you for your time.
Jason

fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator

Post by fonixmunkee »

tree rattt wrote:Hello fonixmunkee.one more question on the avatar.I know this is an unimportant topic.When trying to change avatar it also says failure to connect, contact forum administrator.I am asking because possibly more people are having a similar problem and simply give up.If this is an issue I figure you may want to know.
I figure it has more to do with me being technology challenged.

Sorry for any mix up, and thank you for your time.
Jason

Are you trying to update your avatar via the Tapatalk app on your phone?
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Yup, I tried the app on the phone and through tapatalk...keeps crashing when I tried tapatalk.when I get a chance I am going to hunt down a computer.....I suspect there will be no problem then. Thanks for the reply!
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator

Post by fonixmunkee »

tree rattt wrote:Yup, I tried the app on the phone and through tapatalk...keeps crashing when I tried tapatalk.when I get a chance I am going to hunt down a computer.....I suspect there will be no problem then. Thanks for the reply!
Yes, I'd have to assume that it's the app that is having problems. Unfortunately, there's zero troubleshooting that we can do with the Tapatalk app.

I just changed my avatar through the website just fine.