Packing for boat Voyager

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

bakchr
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Packing for boat Voyager

Post by bakchr »

Website states that all gear must be contained in pack. What do people do with trekking poles? Or other things that are strapped to pack like camp pads, tents, fishing poles?
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: Packing for boat Voyager

Post by Tom »

Camp pads and tents are normally ok, if they are securely strapped to the pack and not dangling around. If at all possible, get fishing and trekking poles inside the pack. If that doesn't work, and if you can't secure them to the pack in a way that doesn't make them dangerous spears to the crew handling them or the packs piled next to them, then I would suggest carrying them on the boat.
Oh, and if the boat reservations look light, a sleeping-pad-on-the-engine-cover might make for the best nap, ever. :wink:
treeplanter
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Post by treeplanter »

Not the same as trekking poles, fishing poles, etc., but with my kayak paddles, I just tape them together and place next to my folding kayak (broken down into its bags). Just be sure that when you get to your destination, you tell the guys unloading your stuff that the trekking poles are yours.

BTW, the guys loading the Voyager always seem to take care while loading/unloading stuff.
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

The crews on the V2 are great guys. They will take the best care possible.I hand up my pack and walking stick seperately, no problems.I would recomend a small carry on though.It is a long cruise, and you may want a nibble or a drink.