Owls on IR

Questions regarding the Flora and Fauna on the island.

Moderator: johnhens

gcloud
NewbieCake

Owls on IR

Post by gcloud »

Does anyone know what species of owls live on the island? And also, have you had any interesting experiences with owls on IR?
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: Owls on IR

Post by Tom »

Interesting. I read your post, and then wondered back if I've ever encountered an owl on Isle Royale, and a memory wasn't coming to me.

Here is the bird list for Isle Royale: http://www.nps.gov/isro/naturescience/l ... eID=263922

It lists three species of Owl, and I think all of them are rare to see. Loons, Mergansers, Gray Jays, a variety of other rapors.. Those you see all the time. I'll have to keep an eye out for an owl.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

gcloud wrote:Does anyone know what species of owls live on the island? And also, have you had any interesting experiences with owls on IR?
Philranger's very recent trip report spoke of hearing a pair of Great Horned Owls at Daisy Farm.

Including permanent residence and migratory path, I found these references:

Owls
Great Horned Owl Bubo virginianus Breeder/Permanent Resident Rare
Barred Owl Strix varia Possible Breeder/Permanent Resident Occasional
Northern Saw-whet Owl Aegolius acadicus Possible Breeder/Permanent Resident Occasional

NPS reference: Bird of Isle Royale

From the above NPS web page: Word document of list of birds ISRO

Also I found these books and posts:
The Birds of Isle Royale National Park: Robert Janke, 1964

The Birds of Isle Royale: Rose Bobin I stopped looking at all 183 photos when the first owl showed up (Northern Saw-whet Owl).

I didn't see any mention of Snowy Owls but I'd bet they make a rare appearance on their migration to the Arctic.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
gcloud
NewbieCake

Post by gcloud »

Thanks a lot. I just find them interesting and am always in awe when I see them or hear them in the night. I find them as peaceful as well as mystically spooky.
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

I was at Island Mine CG (2006). An owl woke me up every hour or two from at least 4 or 5 different directions. The next day I talked with a bird watcher who was visiting the Island. He said he too heard the owl and it was marking its territory. If another owl was nearby, it would normally know to leave that area alone. The owl was in the scout/group camping area just before dark.
Spinnister
NewbieCake

Post by Spinnister »

I heard a couple Great Horned owls about a week ago - think I was at West Chickenbone at the time.
gcloud
NewbieCake

Post by gcloud »

Great! That's encouraging. I'm not sure if I've ever seen a great horned owl, maybe have heard them though.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

We were there last week. Heard Great Horned Owl at Windigo a couple of nights-when the wind was not blowing. Also watched a Merlin feeding and hunting and saw a Peregrine.