Securing passage on the Voyager II

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

Arctos
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Securing passage on the Voyager II

Post by Arctos »

Haven't been to the island in 31 years! Don't think my wife & I can handle the 60 pound packs any more so we're staying at Windigo in one of the cabins a few nights and the shelters a few nights. We got the confirmation on the cabins today but still waiting to hear if they have room for us on the Voyager . How long does it take typically for a return email from the Voyager II people?
Thanks!
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Securing passage on the Voyager II

Post by Ingo »

Usually not long, but I did notice that they were just taking the VII up to Grand Portage, so they may be out of touch for a day or two.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

Did the online reservation system indicate that the boat was full or you should directly contact them? Otherwise, I would think you just need to book the tickets online.

Like Ingo notes, the first boat runs today, so I'm sure there is plenty to do to see her off the dock. Once they are up and running for the reason, response is normally quite timely.
Arctos
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Arctos »

thanks you guys.

DAH! I just booked out Voyager II tickets on-line! All set!
manubatham20

Post by manubatham20 »

How you made your reservation, I am facing hard time planning for this trip.
I am planning for this long weekend (May 30th 2016) and planning to leave from Minneapolis, MN on May 27th in evening, and planning to board ferry from Grand Portage, MN (Voyager II will be only operating then)
I am mainly concerned with booking ferry and lodging. So are you hiking from Windigo to Rock Harbor? or taking ferry further, or just staying at Windigo?
I will not be much into hiking, but other water activities, and natural beauty.
I was thinking to get ferry from Grand Portage to Windigo on Saturday (May 28th) morning, and then Windigo to Rock Harbor on Sunday (May 29th) morning, and then return from Rock Harbor on Tuesday (May 31st)
I don't know how my plan sounds like, but any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Manu
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

The V2 usually goes out from GP on a Saturday to Windigo, after a short stop continues on to Rock Harbor. It'll stay there overnight. On Sunday it'll return to Windigo and Grand Portage. Monday it returns to Windigo and Rock Harbor. Tuesday it again returns to Windigo and GP. Same idea for Wed. and Thurs.