Jetfoil fuel/Windigo after Sept. Close

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

Solo311 +
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 5

Jetfoil fuel/Windigo after Sept. Close

Post by Solo311 + »

While not a new topic- I would like updated information-. I'm arriving in Windigo by seaplane after store closes for the season and need Jetfoil fuel. Can it be sent via mail through Grand Portage and dropped at dock in Windigo by VII for my pick-up on arrival? Has anyone done this recently? I do not want to arrive and not have fuel...procedures, suggestions, etc...Thanks in advance
Solo311 +
NewbieCake

Re: Jetfoil fuel/Windigo after Sept. Close

Post by Solo311 + »

Yes, I did mean Jetfoil fuel................ :roll:
Solo311 +
NewbieCake

Re: Jetboil fuel/Windigo after Sept. Close

Post by Solo311 + »

Solo311 + wrote:Yes, I did mean Jetboil fuel................ :roll:
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

Here is a related thread that might help from earlier this year: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2919

In that case, Capt Don graciously offered to arrange for a fuel drop.
I'm not fully versed in the regulations regarding mailing canister fuels; so you might not be able to use USPS, but you might be able to use a different shipping carrier to get fuel to Grand Portage, and then make arrangements for it to be delivered via ferry.

Another possibility, depending on how late after store-close you are arriving, is to connect with the store concessionaire, and see if you can buy fuel over the phone, and if they can make arrangements to leave it at the Ranger Station for you. You never know until you ask...
Solo311 +
NewbieCake

Post by Solo311 + »

Thanks, Tom, will ask and plan ahead.
HikerGal
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by HikerGal »

Two years ago we went after Labor Day but flew into Rock Harbor. I called a few weeks ahead to the Ranger Station (don't recall exactly where) and they checked and still had fuel and said they would hold a canister under my name. I was a little nervous as if it did not work we'd be eating cold, crunchy food for a week. But in our case it worked fine. I recall it taking a few phone calls but I would suggest giving it a try. Good luck! And enjoy your trip.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

A few years ago when I flew to/from Windigo, I left a partial canister at the ranger station at the end of my trip--they kept a box for emergencies, and apparently off-season. If a drop from the Voyageur II doesn't work, I would try and get in touch with the rangers at Windigo--as HikerGal says, it may take a few calls to find the right person. And a twig stove would be the ultimate solution.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

Solo311 + wrote:Yes, I did mean Jetfoil fuel................ :roll:
JP-8?