Things that make you go, hmmm......

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

carrie.oestreich-nolin
NewbieCake

Things that make you go, hmmm......

Post by carrie.oestreich-nolin »

While waiting in Windigo to board the boat back to GP on Saturday, we observed a woman who had come off the morning boat who was wearing heels. HEELS, I say! Obviously a day tripper but we couldn't help but shake our heads and chuckle. What other strange or interesting things have people seen while on the island - on the docks, trails, campgrounds, etc?
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: Things that make you go, hmmm......

Post by hooky »

Watching wheeled suitcases and a wheeled cooler get loaded on the V for the ride over to Windigo had me wondering what was going on. I assumed the owners were getting off at Windigo for the cabins, but at the end of my trip when I was picked up at Malone they were on the boat again. I was told they got off at McCargoe and stayed there until the next run and then did a night at RH.

All kinds of ways to enjoy the island :)
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

I was spending the night at McCargoe Cove when a man and woman arrived with their canoe from Chickenbone Lake. They had started at Chippewa Harbor. The unusual part was they also brought along an old steamer trunk they used as a dinner table with wooden folding chairs, a red and white checkered table cloth adorned with a filled glass flower vase, crystal wine goblets and at least one glass bottle of wine. I'm not sure what they had for dinner.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
treeplanter
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Post by treeplanter »

Watching several people play croquet on the lawn just outside of Rock Harbor Lodge.
churchill330
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by churchill330 »

A large group of teenagers at Three Mile dock with a large (and loud) radio. No, they did not get there by boat, must have wanted their music bad enough to carry it from Rock Harbor.

Unfortunately, I've had a negative opinion about Three Mile ever since.
carrie.oestreich-nolin
NewbieCake

Post by carrie.oestreich-nolin »

Great stories! I recently shared them with friends and we all had a good chuckle! Hope to hear from more posters!
Capt Don
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 546

Post by Capt Don »

While we have seen pretty much everything possible when it comes to visitors over the years, that particular woman was a first for us as well. One of the deckhands pointed her heels out to me as she exited the boat. Who knows, maybe they are a prototype from Keen's 2017 lineup.