Is delivery of a rental canoe possible?

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

MarylandHiker
NewbieCake

Is delivery of a rental canoe possible?

Post by MarylandHiker »

Hi.

I'm planning a long trip with my daughter this summer. Because of a strange job thing, we'll have three weeks on IR. I'd like to do mainly hiking, but also try to rent a canoe for maybe 5 days.

I'm having trouble finding an anyone who will rent a canoe for an overnight trip on IR. Is this a lost cause? If we want to canoe will I have to leave the island and go to Grand Portage to pick one up, then come back out?

Any advice or thoughts would be really welcome,

Thanks!
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Is delivery of a rental canoe possible?

Post by Ingo »

Hi, and welcome to the forums. You have a couple options.

(a) The company that runs the Voyageur II and Seahunter out of Grand Portage also has some canoes for rent. I would start with them because they have the ability with the VII to drop off and pick up at a number of different places on the island. I'm pretty sure you could have them, say, drop one off at McCargoe Cove and pick it up at Chippewa Harbor (the inland lakes route), even in the middle of the trip--and obviously that would also work at the beginning or end if you're going to/from Grand Portage anyways. You would need to match your itinerary to their schedule, and pay their rental + transportation fees.

(b) The Rock Harbor Lodge rents canoes. From what I've seen of them most aren't set up well for portaging, but would be fine for paddling around that area. And there's plenty of interesting things to see by water just in Rock Harbor/Moskey Basin/Tobin Harbor, although not as remote and away from others.

(c) The last options would only work for the whole trip, so probably not practical, but I'll throw them out there. I've rented from Bear Track Outfitters in Grand Marais, MN and also from Sylvania Outfitters in Watersmeet, MI. Both involve carrying the canoe on the car for some distance to the boat, but they'll have the carriers and straps you'll need. Watersmeet isn't particularly convenient for most folks, but if you come straight up through WI you can make it work.

Hope that helps. Let us know if you have any more questions.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Does it need to be a canoe? Another option might be Keweenaw Adventure Company in Copper Harbor which is located on the same dock as the Copper Harbor Queen IV. They advertise Isle Royale livery service via the Queen. They offer tandem kayaks and canoes but they specifically state that their canoes cannot be taken to Isle Royale. Looks like a liability concern of using the canoe directly on lake Superior (not something you'd probably not want to do anyway). The Queen can only get you to and from Rock Harbor Lodge where as Ingo stated, the Voyageur II can drop you off and pick you up from several spots that offer access to inland lakes without a ton of portaging. There is also a water taxi option (and Voyageur II with less flexibility) that will get you and your rented canoe from Rock Harbor Lodge to several places.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
MarylandHiker
NewbieCake

Post by MarylandHiker »

Those are very very helpful suggestions. Thanks! I'll check with the folks who run the Voyager II first, then look at kayaks.

Thanks much!
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Be sure to ask about weights if you are thinking about portaging. Often, rental units are chosen for sturdiness to gain a decent longevity for the renter/owner. This can make for a heavier carry for the persons renting.

If I was going to plan a 5 day paddling section of a trip I think I would have the Voyageur drop me and their rental canoe at Belle Isle. Belle Isle has a very long 5 night limit and from there you have easy and safe access to 4 other campgrounds with no more than a very flat portage of just a couple hundred yards. Stockley Bay, Duncan Harbor, Duncan Narrows, Lane Cove, Pickerel Cove and Amygdaloid Channel are all within easy and safe reach. The Voyageur can drop you off or pick you up (at or from) Belle Harbor on any Monday, Wednesday or Saturday making for a 2, 4, 5 or 7 day experience. After pickup they will stop at Rock Harbor for the night. You can start hiking from there or the next day they can drop you (with or without the canoe) at Daisy Farm, Chippewa Harbor, Malone Bay or Windigo.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

On my last trip to the island, a group of guys were on a multi day fishing trip and rented canoes from Sawtooth Outfitters in Tofte. The difference in your situation was that they picked them up at the outfitters and dropped them off at the end of the trip. There wasn't the need for someone else to get them to and from the Voyageur. Worst case scenario, you do the pick up and accompany them over, then they sit idle, but still rented by you, for the amount of time you don't use them.

This might be a good site to find other options http://www.northshoreinfo.com/