Camping

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

tphanson
NewbieCake

Camping

Post by tphanson »

My wife and I are planning to hike the Greenstone Ridge Trail in September. If we were to start from the Hidden Lake Dock, what would be a good first nights camoing spot?
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Camping

Post by IncaRoads »

Lane Cove.
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Tightlines01 »

I have a love/hate relationship with Lane Cove. It was the very first campground I stayed in and a beautiful campground (loves). It seems the last couple years it's been increasing in popularity significantly and a place many stroll into late in the day (especially with very novice hikers) expecting to get a spot all to themselves. The 2.4 mile dead end hike in doesn't lend itself to people moving on if the campground is full. The last time there we were tripled up on one site with three groups. Too Busy for the limited number of sites IMO. I likely won't be back to it unless going very early or late in the season.

I'd drop into 3 mile if it was me (and hiking in mid June-August). 3 mile gets a bum rap IMO but is larger and has some of the most amazing sunrises you'll ever get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by JerryB »

I spent two nights in Lane Cove early in the season a couple of years ago. Tightlines is right about the limited campsites and increasing numbers of hikers (relatively speaking, of course). One night I had it to myself and another, it was full. It is beautiful and hike out is not as bad as one would think, but you need to be prepared to share space.
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

I *loved* Lane Cove, both the campsite (I had one to myself, on the summer solstice last year) and the walk in and out. Maybe if your September trip is after Labor Day and/or the start of school, the possibility of over crowding diminishes? (I'm just speculating -- I don't know that there's a big step down in visitors to the Island then.)
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

torpified wrote:I *loved* Lane Cove, both the campsite (I had one to myself, on the summer solstice last year) and the walk in and out. Maybe if your September trip is after Labor Day and/or the start of school, the possibility of over crowding diminishes? (I'm just speculating -- I don't know that there's a big step down in visitors to the Island then.)
We try to do our trips either before Memorial Day or after Labor Day because there are less people on the Island. I will say more folks are doing the same.