Mott Island Web Camera Operational Again

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Mott Island Web Camera Operational Again

Post by Midwest Ed »

The webcam has been down since January 14th. I've been keeping an eye on the Ranger III and I believe it hasn't left Houghton yet this year, but it appears the park's LCM is now at Mott.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Mott Island Web Camera Operational Again

Post by Ingo »

Yup, the LCM went out today (well yesterday, Friday).
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

Looks like a cozy morning on the island...
MottSnow.jpg
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Tightlines01 »

Wow.... I knew they did maintenance stuff on Mott Island, but repainting the dock bright white is a nice touch. I'm sure it makes seeing it on the Ranger III easier.... ; )
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by jrwiesz »

They painted in Houghton/Hancock also!

http://www.mtu.edu/webcams/fund/

Good thing the shut-down has been averted.
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

I was really excited about the camera coming online -- until I had a look. EGADS! I'm arriving in 9 days. I wasn't expecting summer, but I wasn't planning to pack my snow gear either. Will I posthole? Will I need crampons?? Will I need to slither on my belly across ice-clad expanses of granite/boardwalk??? Finally, IS THIS NORMAL?
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

torpified wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:21 pm I was really excited about the camera coming online -- until I had a look. EGADS! I'm arriving in 9 days. I wasn't expecting summer, but I wasn't planning to pack my snow gear either. Will I posthole? Will I need crampons?? Will I need to slither on my belly across ice-clad expanses of granite/boardwalk??? Finally, IS THIS NORMAL?
As of today, I wouldn't be surprised if you find some appreciable snow in very shady low laying areas. All other areas, especially exposed ridges should be open, but do expect a lot of puddles and mud. Things could change, namely it could get colder and snow some more but if you stay flexible and dry you'll be OK. I'd leave your ice climbing gear at home but I would take extra clothes in order to stay dry. I always keep in my emergency kit a means to start a fire easily. For me that's a heavy duty zip lock plastic bag full of dryer lint with about half of it soaked in candle wax. It weighs almost nothing.

Not trying to turn you off at all but a Michigan Tech Student died last night of hypothermia on a hiking trip near the Huron Mountains. He got lost from his group. They found him alive but were unable to warm him before help arrived.

Provide the means to stay warm but most especially dry and you'll be fine.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

very, very sad about the Michigan Tech student. And thanks for the preparation suggestions -- I am beefing up my kit, all the way down to footwear, in anticipation of cold, wet conditions.
Tortuga
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by Tortuga »

Midwest Ed wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:21 pm For me that's a heavy duty zip lock plastic bag full of dryer lint with about half of it soaked in candle wax. It weighs almost nothing.
Nice! My go-to kindling set is a ziplock with cotton balls rolled in Vaseline.