Planned trip 7/3-7/13

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

The_Guy
NewbieCake

Planned trip 7/3-7/13

Post by The_Guy »

Hi everyone,
This will be my 3rd trip to IR in as many years. The first time I went I was out of shape and unprepared and absolutely fell in love with the island. Last year I did 6 days and felt confident in my legs. This year I'm wanting to push it. So without further ado,
July 3 Rock Harbor to Daisy
July 4 Daisy to Todd Harbor
July 5 Todd Harbor to N Lake Desor
July 6 N Lake Desor to Washington Creek (and ice cream!)
July 7 WC to Feldtmann Lake
July 8 Feldtmann Lake to Siskiwit Bay
July 9 Siskiwit Bay to South Lake Desor
July 10 S Lake Desor to Hatchet Lake
July 11 Hatchet to W Chicken Bone
July 12 WCB to DF
July 13 DF to RH (for the 3b's beer, burger and boat)

I know this is ambitious and have been in training for this since February. I had originally planned to do this trip, but in reverse order and changed to this plan to allow myself a zero day if needed by doubling up some of the later days. I will be doing this solo without a supply drop. Last year with all my gear plus water I was at 36lbs for 6 days.
I'm debating on bringing a headnet, never needed one the last two years. And will side trips to little Todd and island mine be worth the sidetrip?

Can't wait to get back on the island
-the guy
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: Planned trip 7/3-7/13

Post by Midwest Ed »

Maybe you are immune to mosquitoes and black flies but I wouldn't go anywhere near Lake Superior in July without a head net, especially considering how little they weigh. Two summers ago, during the last week in July, the black flies were swarming so thick in the Keweenaw that you could not see out of the windshield of a parked car in Bete Grise along the shore of the big lake. It's always hit or miss, when and where they will strike. That is an adventuresome (at least for one or two days) agenda but you have plenty of days available to make on the fly adjustments if desired.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
The_Guy
NewbieCake

Post by The_Guy »

Up until this year I was a smoker, but they seem to Iike me more now that I've kicked that habit. I'll pick one up and use it on a training hike in a couple weeks to see how it feels.

Thanks!
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

The_Guy wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 9:55 am This year I'm wanting to push it.
I'd say then you've planned the right trip. July 4-6th is going to give you a solid work out, and could be pretty rough if the temps get higher, or if it rains. (Ok, pretty much any weather.) :wink:

As for Little Todd, it's a pretty camp, but if you're not planning on staying (and don't need water) then it's a bit of a side trip just to see what is still just a camp. Great camp to stay at, but not the same type of exploration as others provide. The stretch of Minong beyond that is perhaps the slowest (in terms of speed) section of the island, so don't wear your legs out.
For Island Mine, well, you're pretty much walking right through it. It doesn't hurt to drop a pack and look around for a bit. (The mine and equipment; the camp itself, in July, isn't much to look at.)
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by jrwiesz »

The newer head nets weigh grams! :shock:

Never go UP, without one. Period. :!: :?: :arrow: :idea:

JMHO, YMMV.
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
Chorizo
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 19

Post by Chorizo »

The stretch from Little Todd to N. Desor is probably the most difficult stretch of trail on the island. Plan accordingly. I like to do that stretch as a single day but it is doable paired up with the Todd--->Little Todd section you have planned... just challenging as the second half of a good distance hike.

I would never travel to IR without a headnet. In July it could be almost as essential as water. No joke. If you get a bad bug year or even one bad hatch timed up with your visit it can ruin a trip. Headnets were the difference between the best trip we ever took at IR and going home early. The bugs early June of 2005 were epic. Candy Peterson had relayed to some hikers we met that in all her years she had never seen the bugs worse. Headnets saved us.
The_Guy
NewbieCake

Post by The_Guy »

My last two trips ('15 & '16)were around roughly the same time, so I'm hoping that the bugs leave me alone like they have in the past, but you all have convinced me to bring a bug net along.
As for the rain...that's kind of what happens on the island, at least in my experience. I don't remember (again only two years experience here) ever having two days back to back without some rain. At least when it's raining the bugs aren't biting (as bad)!
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

Head net for sure in July. It is ambitious for sure, but it can be done on young legs. I would never do it at this point in my life, but have done similar in my 20's - 40's. Make sure you do take time and enjoy the trail and views. On my earlier trips to the island I missed a lot by getting from place to place. I have been lucky to return to the island and do the same routes at a slower pace and soak them all in.
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
Tortuga
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by Tortuga »

The_Guy wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 2:00 pm My last two trips ('15 & '16)were around roughly the same time, so I'm hoping that the bugs leave me alone like they have in the past, but you all have convinced me to bring a bug net along.
As for the rain...that's kind of what happens on the island, at least in my experience. I don't remember (again only two years experience here) ever having two days back to back without some rain. At least when it's raining the bugs aren't biting (as bad)!
Definitely do a bug net. It weighs nothing and you will be thankful if you hit a hatch of midges. When I went last year there were virtually no bugs except in spots and I was glad to have a net in those moments.
The_Guy
NewbieCake

Post by The_Guy »

Just finishing up a four day trip in northern Michigan, the head-net saved the trip, thanks head to ISRO next week, can't wait!
Darklink
NewbieCake

Post by Darklink »

The route I'm doing is fairly similar to yours, with some slight differences at the end. Let me know how this works out for you!
The_Guy
NewbieCake

Post by The_Guy »

Sure thing, in copper harbor right now, catch the ferry in the morning!