Travel Size Food, Spreads, Condiments

Discuss food & groceries, share recipes, and other backcountry cooking & food-related topics here!

Moderator: hooky

Montana
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Travel Size Food, Spreads, Condiments

Post by Montana »

Starting to put together my food list for our trip later this summer. Found a great place for backpacker friendly sized food:

www.minimus.biz

For you peanut butter lovers, this store is for you!
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Travel Size Food, Spreads, Condiments

Post by JerryB »

Packit Gourmet (http://www.packitgourmet.com/) is also good.
Tortuga
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by Tortuga »

JerryB wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 11:57 am Packit Gourmet (http://www.packitgourmet.com/) is also good.
Love this company and take some of their meals on every backpacking trip. So much better than a pouch of instant mashed potatoes or Mountain House. Shipping's a little expensive, but it is a small business with great quality.
kolo
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 11

Post by kolo »

I came across this company through Backpacker Magazine and tried some of their meals. I now order from them every year; the food is easily prepared and tastes good!

http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

kolo wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 9:45 am I came across this company through Backpacker Magazine and tried some of their meals. I now order from them every year; the food is easily prepared and tastes good!

http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/
In today's more liberal climate and a name like MaryJane, some folks might be expecting a bit more "adventure" in their meals. :mrgreen: :oops:
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR

Post by thesneakymonkey »

I love packit gourmet and they have small condiments and such to add to your order if needed. Their meals are fantastic as well.
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR

Post by jrwiesz »

Packit, I don't believe, has organic ingredients; and I don't see "bulk", available for their prepackaged meals?

Whereas, MJ's has both available. :) Vegan and Vegetarian offerings are also available.

I have never tried the Packit offerings, but, can attest to the favorable review of MJ's.

I usually supplement the meals with jerky(beef/turkey) or fish.
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
DonNewcomb
IR Expert

Post by DonNewcomb »

This is my favorite "travel size" spread. No experience with this site, just Googled it as an example.
Tortuga
Trailblazer

Post by Tortuga »

jrwiesz wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 3:52 pm Packit, I don't believe, has organic ingredients; and I don't see "bulk", available for their prepackaged meals?

Whereas, MJ's has both available. :) Vegan and Vegetarian offerings are also available.

I have never tried the Packit offerings, but, can attest to the favorable review of MJ's.

I usually supplement the meals with jerky(beef/turkey) or fish.
Packit does use OG ingredients "when possible," although they are not a certified organic processor like MJF. They also have Vegetarian and Vegan options. I'll have to give MJF a try sometime, though. I didn't realize until this thread that you could buy additional sauce/condiment packages with your orders, or I'd have been bringing more sriracha and texas pete's.

I like Mountain House pretty much across the board. Backpacker's Pantry is just too much for a solo hiker, and the few things I tried were anywhere from "meh" to "eh."

Alpineaire is probably the most disgusting freeze dried food I've tried. Even after a long day on the Superior Hiking Trail, I couldn't stomach one of their chili meals and ended up dumping it in the latrine (I kept the bag). Let's just say it looked like it belonged there.
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR

Post by jrwiesz »

I'm going to try the Packit offerings
I know the MJ's goods are edible
I especially like the sweet corn and black bean chowder with beef/venison jerky added
Their lentil bisque reminds me of split pea n ham soup😍
Also, nicks couch potatoes are good
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
The_Guy
NewbieCake

Post by The_Guy »

I just re-uped on alpineair for this summer. Yeah it's not the most tasty, but buying it at $4.50/meal helps my budget out. As long as I throw in a couple mountain house biscuits and gravy I'm a happy camper.
Tortuga
Trailblazer

Post by Tortuga »

The_Guy wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 8:11 pm I just re-uped on alpineair for this summer. Yeah it's not the most tasty, but buying it at $4.50/meal helps my budget out. As long as I throw in a couple mountain house biscuits and gravy I'm a happy camper.
The price is what led me to try them, but man I was so disappointed. I'd rather have a Pasta/Rice Side, or instant mashed potatoes for $1. But totally with you on the B & G!
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by JerryB »

Just back. Our best meal was a Pack-it pasta bolongnaise. Very tasty. Pretty good pumpkin-ginger pancakes too
JavaHiker
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by JavaHiker »

As a make your own, I've found these indispensable: https://www.rei.com/product/696007/cogh ... ckage-of-2. I fill one with PB and the other with Nutella, and place in a zip lock bag with tortillas and a small bottle of honey (or mix in the same tube). These are always packed in a side pocket of my pack or in the day hatch of my kayak for a quick power snack...
"Observe. Absorb. Create. Share."
DonNewcomb
IR Expert

Post by DonNewcomb »

JavaHiker wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:04 am As a make your own, I've found these indispensable: https://www.rei.com/product/696007/cogh ... ckage-of-2. I fill one with PB and the other with Nutella, and place in a zip lock bag with tortillas and a small bottle of honey (or mix in the same tube). These are always packed in a side pocket of my pack or in the day hatch of my kayak for a quick power snack...
Squeeze tubes have been around at least since the '60s. (We used to call them "Gerry Tubes" because they were made by Gerry.) The issue with them is it's always hard to get the last little bit out. They are also too big for some items (e.g. mustard {Unless you really like mustard.})