A couple quick questions (toilet paper and showers)

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by thesneakymonkey »

1)Can I expect to find TP in the vault style toilets on the island or not? I will be packing TP but not too sure on how much (Our trip will be 6d/5n and two people). We will be staying at 3Mile, MB, WCB, DF, and RH.

2)We were planning to spring for a shower at the end of our trip in Rock harbor. I've read its a token style shower (token gets you so many minutes of shower time). We are familiar with this as we used this system when hiking the TMB in Europe. We were just wondering if you can purchase soap and a towel to use as well? I dont want to carry soap and a towel all six days to just use once. What is the current cost of the showers? (want to make sure I bring enough cash).

thanks so much for any advice! Our trip will be here before we know it! SO EXCITED
ARRC
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: A couple quick questions (toilet paper and showers)

Post by ARRC »

If I remember correctly, last year the shower was $6.00 and it was cold. Not sure about the towel and soap. I hike with a micro fiber towel and always carry soap for washing.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

I've used the shower at Windigo but not at Rock Harbor. The shower at Windigo was hot and quick. Plenty of time if you're used to taking navy showers. They didn't include soap or towel and I didn't ask because I carry a pack towel and liquid camping soap. I can't imagine you're really planning on camping for 6 days without soap and a pack towel.
Donk_67
Trailblazer

Post by Donk_67 »

Towel and soap can be had for $2.00 (if I remember correctly) in addition to $6.00 token for five minutes. Shower at Rock Harbor was plenty hot in June.

Most of outhouses had TP, especially at CG on Superior...some of the inland sites don't.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Those campgrounds will probably have TP, but no guarantee. They do supply them, but depends on busyness, timing, and whether people have walked off with it.

There is hot water, but the supply is limited by the HW heater, shared with the laundry--so it tends to run out when it's busy. I'm guessing earlier is better.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
hooky
IR Expert

Post by hooky »

DonNewcomb wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:23 pm I can't imagine you're really planning on camping for 6 days without soap and a pack towel.
Guilty of no soap and my towel is more like a microfiber wash cloth.

As far as TP, I've always carried in a partial role. There has always been TP in the outhouses, but it's of the John Wayne variety.
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR

We dont typically carry soap and when we do we certainly dont carry enough to shower with. We just have no need for it. We do carry hand sani for cleaning hands, wet wipes for the quick wipe down at night, and we dont have dishes (no cook in pot). We do carry a small microfiber towel but not like a big shower towel. I cant see the two of us effectively drying off with one small microfiber towel, which is why I asked. I dont really care if its hot or cold just wet! haha.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Sounds like we can get what we need at the rock harbor store if needed. May toss in a little extra TP though.
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

Could you stash a real towel, soap, and a change of clothes (and whatever else you need to celebrate at trip's end) at the Rock Harbor Lodge while you're on your walk?
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR

Since I was getting some conflicting answers I asked the NPS directly via email. I got an answer almost immediately! I took the opportunity to ask about the bug situation as well.

Here's their answer:

"The cost of the showers is $6 and is for a 5 minute shower and includes a bar of soap and use of a towel. They are token operated showers and the tokens can be purchased from the Rock Harbor camping store which is open from 8a-8p daily. There are still plenty of biting critters out right now. Be sure to be prepared with some good spray and a face net if you plan on doing any long hikes.

Thanks for the inquiry,
Brian "
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR

torpified wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:45 pm Could you stash a real towel, soap, and a change of clothes (and whatever else you need to celebrate at trip's end) at the Rock Harbor Lodge while you're on your walk?
Yes, from my research I have found you can in fact store gear (no fuel) at Rock harbor. There are not lockers available, but they do offer a storage for a fee. I dont think I will need this as I emailed the NPS directly and they offer 5min showers at rock harbor (with a towel and soap) for $6. That works for me.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

thesneakymonkey wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:44 am Yes, from my research I have found you can in fact store gear (no fuel) at Rock harbor. There are not lockers available, but they do offer a storage for a fee.....
We stored a suitcase at the RH Lodge office while we hiked for 9 days and picked it up when we checked into the Lodge for the last night on island. I don't recall the fee but it was high enough that I wouldn't have wanted to store two bags.
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

I always carry TP with me. You often need it away from Rock Harbor or Windigo.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

1) Toilet paper is usually available at the outhouses; the NPS does a good job stocking them. However, always bring a roll of TP. It's mult-use. And you never know if you need to make a pit stop on the trail.

2) Showers are free in Lake Superior. :P
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR

Oh I always bring TP! Just wasnt sure how much to bring.