Any interesting places to hit up near Copper Harbor?

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

jsuh84
NewbieCake

Any interesting places to hit up near Copper Harbor?

Post by jsuh84 »

I'm planning to hit up IR from Copper Harbor. I'll be driving from the Chicago area. It's about an eight hour drive so I plan on driving out there in the morning to arrive in the Copper Harbor area to sleep at a nearby campground/airbnb/hotel so I can head off to the ferry in the morning. I'll be doing the same in reverse after IR.

So my question is, are there any interesting places I should stay overnight, i.e. any cool places to hit up whether it be reasons of food, bars, or anything?! I'm looking for interesting opportunities for this trip. Don't know much about the area.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: Any interesting places to hit up near Copper Harbor?

Post by Midwest Ed »

Detour off US-41 onto M-26 north/left at Phoenix, taking you through Eagle River and Eagle Harbor. It's a nice roller coaster of a ride in spots, hugging the Lake shore. It's a little slower than US-41 but far more scenic. A half mile after you pass Lake Bailey on the right there will be a cutoff to the right taking you to the top of Brockway Mountain, a popular scenic overlook. On a very clear day you can see Isle Royale, about 50 miles away.

In Copper Harbor, the place to camp is Fort Wilkins State Park on Lake Fanny Hooe, a mile further up US-41. There are no hotels in Copper Harbor, only a few motels that are throw backs to the 1950's travel motels. Small rooms but they are typically clean and comfortable. If that's your fancy, I'd make a reservation as they can fill up depending on what's going on. There are more and more rental units every year (houses and cabins). Many if not most want a week or at least 2 or 3 days minimum stay but you might negotiate a single night. Maybe that's changed recently with the increase in competition.

If you have time at Copper Harbor, the two short walks I'd recommend are Hunter's Point Park where some very unusual geology can be seen along the rocky beach and the longer trek to the Estivant Pines. Just a a mile or so south of Copper Harbor by car (OK maybe SUV if it's been raining a lot), it is a 500 acre nature sanctuary, preserving some of the last old growth White Pine stands remaining in the upper Midwest, not Redwood large but pretty damn impressive. Several thoughts on the various restaurants in Copper Harbor have already been shared here, just do a search for Copper Harbor Restaurant.

On your return, if you are interested in 19th century archaeology, the Keweenaw Peninsula was once home to almost 100% of the country's source of copper. The history has actually been turned into a National Historical Park centered in the Calumet and Hancock areas. So many Isle Royale visitors pass through, wondering what all those old relics are.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
jsuh84
NewbieCake

Post by jsuh84 »

Midwest Ed wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:24 pm Detour off US-41 onto M-26 north/left at Phoenix, taking you through Eagle River and Eagle Harbor. It's a nice roller coaster of a ride in spots, hugging the Lake shore. It's a little slower than US-41 but far more scenic. A half mile after you pass Lake Bailey on the right there will be a cutoff to the right taking you to the top of Brockway Mountain, a popular scenic overlook. On a very clear day you can see Isle Royale, about 50 miles away.

In Copper Harbor, the place to camp is Fort Wilkins State Park on Lake Fanny Hooe, a mile further up US-41. There are no hotels in Copper Harbor, only a few motels that are throw backs to the 1950's travel motels. Small rooms but they are typically clean and comfortable. If that's your fancy, I'd make a reservation as they can fill up depending on what's going on. There are more and more rental units every year (houses and cabins). Many if not most want a week or at least 2 or 3 days minimum stay but you might negotiate a single night. Maybe that's changed recently with the increase in competition.

If you have time at Copper Harbor, the two short walks I'd recommend are Hunter's Point Park where some very unusual geology can be seen along the rocky beach and the longer trek to the Estivant Pines. Just a a mile or so south of Copper Harbor by car (OK maybe SUV if it's been raining a lot), it is a 500 acre nature sanctuary, preserving some of the last old growth White Pine stands remaining in the upper Midwest, not Redwood large but pretty damn impressive. Several thoughts on the various restaurants in Copper Harbor have already been shared here, just do a search for Copper Harbor Restaurant.

On your return, if you are interested in 19th century archaeology, the Keweenaw Peninsula was once home to almost 100% of the country's source of copper. The history has actually been turned into a National Historical Park centered in the Calumet and Hancock areas. So many Isle Royale visitors pass through, wondering what all those old relics are.
Much, much appreciated!! I'm definitely interested in Hunter's Point Park and catching those White Pines.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Here's a sample of the beach at Hunter's Point. No one knows for sure what causes these markings in the rocks, maybe billion year old bacteria. Some people think it's hieroglyphics :shock:
Hunters Point Cynobacteria.jpg
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »