Looking for Itinerary Feedback

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

MrNickJC
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Looking for Itinerary Feedback

Post by MrNickJC »

Good morning! First time poster, making first visit to IR in late August (8/27 - 9/2). 5 of us trying to stay under 10 miles per day so we have enough energy to swim, fish, explore, etc. Here is our planned itinerary:

Day 1 - Rock Harbor to Daisy Farm (7.1 miles)
Day 2 - Daisy Farm to McCargo Cove (8.2 miles)
Day 3 - McCargo Cove to Hatchett Lake (10.7 miles)
Day 4 - Hatchett Lake to Chicken Bone West (7.9 miles)
Day 5 - Chicken Bone W to Moskey Basin (5.9 miles)
Day 6 - Moskey Basin to 3 Mile (8.3 miles)
Day 7 - 3 Mile to Rock Harbor (2.7 miles), then explore Scoville, etc. until the boat leaves.

Questions:
1) Even though the days are fairly light on miles, do any of them look excessively difficult?
2) Might stay at Todd Harbor instead of Hatchett Lake on Day 3, any preferences between the two?
3) Do any of the campgrounds allow fires, in a community ring, etc.?
4) Will we miss any key parts of the trails on the east side of the island? Open to suggested changes to itinerary.

Thanks for the help. Trying to make the best of this once in a lifetime trip!

Nick
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Looking for Itinerary Feedback

Post by JerryB »

I would choose Todd Harbor over Hatchett. If you go through group site 1 at Todd, you have access to the rocks on the shore. Nice place to sit and enjoy the scenery. With or without this change, your itinerary looks like a good one. If you look at a copy of the park newspaper (available on the park site), there is a chart for each campsite with information on fire rings. Fires are only allowed in rings. Some sites have a community ring. As for missing anything, you can't see it all. I really like Chippewa Harbor but I am not sure how you can fit that in. Enjoy!
Base654
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Post by Base654 »

Welcome to the forum. Your plan looks good given your group is of reasonable health and have a little experience. none of the trails you will be on are excessively difficult, but most have some spots where you will be breathing heavy. I have walked past Hatchett lake a few times, but never stayed. I have found some bigger groups of people who have taken the boat to Todd and walked in for a fishing trip. Not my group of people. Others will give more input on their experiences. I usually stay at Todd when I go that way. I really like the sunsets there. Of the site you propose, McCargo and Todd have communal fire rings. I think Daisy and Three mile do too, but I haven't stayed at them in a while.

Will you miss anything... Yes... I have been there plenty of times and still haven't seen it all. The west end of the Island is birch forests, beaver dams and moose. The east is evergreens and vistas and moose. In general of course. you get a little bit of everything on both ends. The north side has more cliffs the south more slopes and "beaches." you do have a good mix on your trip, it is one of the more popular routes.

You don't have any down days in your trip. it's not a bad idea to plan one in, but I do understand the idea of not wanting to waste time. If you have any injuries, or get some horrible weather, you may need to slow down or take a day off. Many people will choose to clip off the hachett lake loop and plan an extra day at Moskey, Daisy or Three Mile and do day hikes from there. If every body is feeling good the last couple days you could run over to Lane cove.

If you see a kayak or few at the camps, come say hi, it might be me. I am going to be there for 3 weeks with your trip in the middle.
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

Agree with JerryB about Todd over Hatchet. You might consider changing the order a bit:
Day 2 - Daisy Farm to West Chickenbone
Day 3 - WCB to Todd, via the ridge and Hatchet. This would be over 10 miles, but once you drop off the ridge into Hatchet it's pretty easy going.
Day 4 - Todd to McCargoe
Day 5 - McCargoe to Moskey Basin
Either way would work and be great trip.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
MrNickJC
NewbieCake

Post by MrNickJC »

Thanks for all of the feedback so far, it is greatly appreciated.

Is it fair to assume the bugs will be minimal that late in August?
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

MrNickJC wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:22 am Is it fair to assume the bugs will be minimal that late in August?
Never assume! But most likely won't be bad. On the other hand if you run into an odd hatch it can really make it miserable if you're not prepared.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

It all depends upon temperature and humidity. I can't imagine having any problems with black flies. But unless there have been very cold nights, the mosquitoes will still be lurking, especially beginning at dusk. I still take my head net since it weighs so little.

The last few years, here in Northern Illinois, there have been these tiny tiny flies all summer long. They don't bite but just swarm your head. What a nuisance. I don't remember them from years past, but just a slight breeze and they are gone.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
MrNickJC
NewbieCake

Post by MrNickJC »

Trip is coming up in 2 weeks! Thought of another question if you guys/gals can help out. How many of the sites mentioned above have pit toilets?

Again, really appreciate all of the feedback.
paulbates
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by paulbates »

MrNickJC wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:24 pm Trip is coming up in 2 weeks! Thought of another question if you guys/gals can help out. How many of the sites mentioned above have pit toilets?

Again, really appreciate all of the feedback.
Hi Nick
All of them have at least one pit toilette

Paul