general conditions--July 2017

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

general conditions--July 2017

Post by JerryB »

Just off the Feldtman Loop and thought I would share some current information.

Deadfall is not a problem at all. Trail crews must have been hard at work. Overgrown brush, on the other hand, chokes about half of this trail; some of it quite bad. I think only someone with no trail experience would lose the trail, but tripping and twisting ankles is a real risk because a hiker cannot see where he or she is putting a foot. Also, this means that anyone should plan on a good soaking if hiking after a rain or in the morning dew.

I noticed quite a lot of beaver activity. So far, on this trail, it has had a limited impact, but I suspect that will change.

Finally, I noticed several groups wading through a creek outflow just short of Senter Point near Siskiwit. No need to do this; there is a fully functional bridge just a bit inland.
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: general conditions--July 2017

Post by hooky »

JerryB wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:51 am Finally, I noticed several groups wading through a creek outflow just short of Senter Point near Siskiwit. No need to do this; there is a fully functional bridge just a bit inland.
But what's the fun in using a bridge? :D

Thanks for the update. Was the overgrowth particularly bad at any specific point or between any specific campgrounds?
JerryB
May actually live on IR

Post by JerryB »

the overgrowth was particularly bad between Feldtman and Siskiwit, but there are bad spots almost everywhere (much less so on the Greenstone).
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

JerryB wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:49 pm the overgrowth was particularly bad between Feldtman and Siskiwit, but there are bad spots almost everywhere (much less so on the Greenstone).
Yeah, when I did it a month ago I was thinking "this could be really annoying in a few weeks".
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Paddington
NewbieCake

Post by Paddington »

Hello,

Can anyone share an update on the trail conditions for Feldtman Loop? We're headed to Isle Royale in about two weeks for a 1-week backpack trip and we'll be going in and out of Windigo. A hike to Feldtman Lake and then on to Siskiwit looked like a good way to kick off the trip, but we're wary of the bushwhacking and extended stretches of wading that may require given the July post.

Thanks!
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Hopefully you will get a response from someone recently on those trails but I think you are somewhat mis-interpreting the previous reports. The "wading" observation was of a group that appeared to not know (or maybe not care) that a foot bridge exists over the Siskiwit River. The bushwacking concerns stem from reports of brush that has over grown the trail in spots. If much of it is still in place, I doubt very much it poses similar obstacles as you would most likely experience in a true off trail bushwacking experience on the Island. The worst that will happen is on wet days or mornings with a lot of dew, you could get substantially wet. Good rain gear including pants and jacket for heavy stuff or gaitors for lighter areas will help considerably. It might also hide the trail in particularly heavy areas.

Continued growth might have made things get a little worse but heavier user tends to beat back the overgrowth. If I have the correct clothing I would not let it stop me. But you don't want to get caught in a cold snap with all your clothing wet either. Spare, dry clothes and rain gear is the way to go. You can always ask the Ranger when you arrive and adjust your plans then. Instead of making the entire loop you can include the Hugginnen Loop and go places then backtrack. The views and observations walking the opposite direction "coming back" are always different than when you "went".
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Paddington
NewbieCake

Post by Paddington »

Thanks, Midwest Ed, for the reply and clarification. We'll be equipped for wet conditions (gaiters, rain jackets & pants, and the like). Put in a call for clear skies and moderate temps but you know how sometimes those requests can't be met. ;) We're also planning to ask the rangers when we arrive for any update. I'm not sure how often they might have been out on the trails (or a particular trail) themselves, but imagine they get reports from hikers regularly.

Thanks again!
Jean2862
NewbieCake

Post by Jean2862 »

Anyone know if the overgrowth is still a major problem? Leaving next week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
paulbates
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by paulbates »

Jean2862 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:04 am Anyone know if the overgrowth is still a major problem? Leaving next week
We heard reports last week (8/5 - 8/11) from hikers who said it was, in two spots on the Feldtman loop..
- a couple miles in the lower area on the east side of the Tower on the way to Siskiwit Bay
- north of Siskiwit bay on the way to Island Mine

But we also saw it a number of places on the Minong and also the Hugginin loop. If its dry- it can be pushed through. if its wet, be prepared for a good soaking from that height on down. I wore only shorts and did ok.

Paul
ARRC
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by ARRC »

I just finished my trip. Started at Chippewa Harbor up to McCargo and across the Minong. I had intended on doing the Feldtman, but everyone I talk with, coming off the loop, said how overgrown the trail was, so decided to do it another time. You may want to think about catching the Voyager to McCargo and hiking the Minong back to Windigo.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Paddington
NewbieCake

Post by Paddington »

Hi,

Just returned and hiked the Feldtman Loop to Siskiwit and then north towards Island Mine (8/19-8/20). The conditions described in July still apply so be prepared to deal with heavy overgrowth and, after a rain fall or in the morning, mud or muck.

Hiking from Windigo to Feldtman and then Siskiwit Bay:
- Heavy overgrowth for roughly last 3 miles before reaching the FL campground. The overgrowth is very high in some places (5' or so). You won't lose the trail, but it's a nuisance.

- From FL to Siskiwit, the last 3 to 4 miles are heavily overgrown. Not as high as the approach to FL but thicker. If you didn't have people walking in front of you, there are many places where you wouldn't know there was a trail other than the fact it's the only place to walk (vs the marsh or trees to either side). You have to plant your feet hoping there is ground underneath. It was (thankfully) dry when we went through, but after rain or in the morning, prepare to be soaking wet.

- From Siskiwit to Island Mine, the first 3+ miles are very heavily overgrown. Tall grasses, very wet and muddy, boardwalks slippery. Again, you won't lose the trail, per se, but it's sometimes difficult to see precisely where it is, whether you're on boardwalk or ground, and where the edges of the boardwalk are. We were lucky and it had been dry for a few days, so the trail was muddy but not under water as the ranger had told us it would be. (We got wet from dew but our feet were dry.) After a rainstorm, be prepared for more mud or worse.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

I think it's been two years since I was on the loop, and the conditions haven't changed. I'm actually a little surprised, at least in the Feldtman to Siskiwit segment where it does get so thick with alder and other woody species, that the NPS hasn't had a trail crew widen it out like they do on many other trails.
In the last couple miles into Feldtman from Windigo, I seem to recall much of the thick stuff was Cow's Parsnip. It always concerned me that folks would chop the plant with either a hiking pole or machete, since it's the sap that's the problem. You can typically brush up against it and be ok (I like long sleeves and pants, though) but breaking it open is bad. The sap will cause a nasty rash/burn for most people, when exposed to sun. (Phytophotodermatitis.)