Trouble with Inreach SE and Explorer SOS switch

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Trouble with Inreach SE and Explorer SOS switch

Post by johnhens »

Came across this article. I know some folks use these on IR.
https://andrewskurka.com/2017/garmin-re ... -explorer/
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: Trouble with Inreach SE and Explorer SOS switch

Post by Midwest Ed »

Thanks for the heads up John. I checked mine and the SOS interlock switch is still operative. The interlock switch appears to be just a locking tab made from plastic that slides into and interrupts the SOS electrical switch, keeping a press from completing the electrical circuit. If that single protection fails there is nothing to prevent an accidental pressing of the SOS switch. Most of the other critical functions have a double and triple failure requirement (like accidentally turning the unit off), but the SOS lock has just this single lock.

Otherwise, I still think this is a great unit for remote communication but now I'll keep an eye on the SOS button. The battery lasts almost forever. The automatic reporting of tracking points to the cloud and two-way text messaging are the prime features. It's internal mapping and orienteering functions are quite inferior though due its extremely small screen (that's why the battery life is so good). But paired with a smart phone over Bluetooth the orienteering is very good (assuming you have previously downloaded the appropriate maps).
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013