Feldtmann Loop Fishing

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

Topic author
FF7Cid
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Feldtmann Loop Fishing

Post by FF7Cid » Thu May 17, 2018 8:35 am

Hello!

I was hoping to gather all the fishing info I could for these locations. Also is it possible to catch trout or walleye?

- Lake Halloran
- Siskiwit Bay (staying at Siskiwit Bay campground)
- Washington Creek
- Feltmann Lake

I've read the pinned fishing chart so I'm expecting a lot of pike. I know I will need a Michigan fishing license for Siskiwit Bay. I'm hoping it will be possible to bushwhack to Halloran as I've read it's not easy to get to. I'll be leaving for my trip in the next two weeks.

Thanks.

Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: Feldtmann Loop Fishing

Post by Midwest Ed » Thu May 17, 2018 10:34 am

Brook Trout in Washington Creek is a maybe. I don't know if a Michigan licence is needed there. I would suspect it is.

Correction: Maybe no license is needed for Washington Creek, but yes of course for Washington Harbor.
See page 8 of "The Greenstone."
Inland Lakes and Streams
Licenses are not required to fish on the inland waters of Isle Royale.

Brook Trout are only catch and release.

Mike T. posted a thread some time ago regarding an old trail to Lake Halloran. I'll look for it later unless you or someone beats me to it.
Last edited by Midwest Ed on Thu May 17, 2018 8:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013

rich
NewbieCake

Post by rich » Thu May 17, 2018 11:17 am

fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Post by fonixmunkee » Thu May 17, 2018 5:36 pm

Feldtmann Lake has lots of pike. We've caught some decent ones right from the shore.
Sometimes you feel like a nut :: http://twitter.com/fonixmunkee

Cobie33
NewbieCake

Post by Cobie33 » Fri May 18, 2018 7:41 am

I have bushwhacked to Halloran and the pike fishing was fast and furious. I fished the NW side of the lake and literally had a follow or caught a pike on every cast using Miller Wobbler weedless spoons (similar to Johnson Silver Minnows). There were quite a few snags in the water in that area. We released everything we caught with the largest being 34". Most were about 24-28".

The largest pike I ever caught out of Feldtmann measured 36". Again, using Miller Wobblers, I wade out to waist deep water and cast toward the center of the lake as far as I can. There are submerged weed beds out there that the pike lounge in during the day. Its great when the pike follow right up to the end of your pole, swim around you and head back where they came from.

Topic author
FF7Cid
NewbieCake

Post by FF7Cid » Sat May 19, 2018 11:31 pm

Does anyone have any idea of the kind of fish you can catch in Siskiwit Bay? Any tips on spots to go besides the dock?
Cobie33 wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 7:41 am
I have bushwhacked to Halloran and the pike fishing was fast and furious. I fished the NW side of the lake and literally had a follow or caught a pike on every cast using Miller Wobbler weedless spoons (similar to Johnson Silver Minnows).
Interesting to hear someone has made it to Halloran. Was the bushwhack in difficult? What time of the year did you go there?

Appreciate the info from everyone here, super helpful.

Midwest Ed
IR Expert

Post by Midwest Ed » Sun May 20, 2018 1:30 am

FF7Cid wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 11:31 pm
Does anyone have any idea of the kind of fish you can catch in Siskiwit Bay? Any tips on spots to go besides the dock?
You might find Lake Trout or Northern from the dock. Another spot to try is the mouth of the Big Siskiwit River or other parts of the river. The trail to Island Mine has a bridge that the crosses the river about 150 yards from the mouth but it might be easier to walk along the beach.

Chorizo
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by Chorizo » Thu May 31, 2018 8:45 pm

FF7Cid wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 11:31 pm
Cobie33 wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 7:41 am
I have bushwhacked to Halloran and the pike fishing was fast and furious. I fished the NW side of the lake and literally had a follow or caught a pike on every cast using Miller Wobbler weedless spoons (similar to Johnson Silver Minnows).
Interesting to hear someone has made it to Halloran. Was the bushwhack in difficult? What time of the year did you go there?

Appreciate the info from everyone here, super helpful.
About 15 years ago we met a couple of old gentlemen who told the same story as Cobie33 regarding the fishing at Halloran. I recall them saying the bushwhack was quite difficult because of the thick sedge growth in that area.

We have caught small brookies out of Washington Creek. Stay low and out of sight. They were fun. I believe we were using small (size 1 or smaller) Mepp's or Blue Fox spinners.

Cobie33
NewbieCake

Post by Cobie33 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:12 am

To be quite honest the route we took to get to the Halloran wasn't that difficult. We came out about a few hundred yards east of the west end of the lake on the open ridge top. On the way back we moved farther east and then headed north to get back to the trial. That was more difficult due to thicker brush and blow downs. It was the end of June if I remember correctly when we bushwhacked there.

The guy I was fishing with had a pike break his line. I told him I'll catch him for you to get your lure back and I did! I cast to the same area he had just casted and the same fish struck my lure. I hauled him in with my buddy's lure still in his mouth! I have pics of it, this was before digital cameras were an affordable thing.

Is it worth it? I think it is just to say you did.

Topic author
FF7Cid
NewbieCake

Post by FF7Cid » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:10 am

Reporting back to say we all made it to Halloran. We were given advice from the park ranger in Windigo to try a mile in from Siskiwit. It had rained the day before and there was swamp surrounding the lake. It wasn't very long though, we pushed though and made it. We were only there for about an hour though since it was pouring. Still worth it just so say we did it. The fishing was indeed, great. I would definitely go back more prepared for a longer stay.

Midwest Ed
IR Expert

Post by Midwest Ed » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:39 am

FF7Cid wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:10 am
The fishing was indeed, great. I would definitely go back more prepared for a longer stay.
What species of fish were you catching?

Topic author
FF7Cid
NewbieCake

Post by FF7Cid » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:38 pm

Midwest Ed wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:39 am
FF7Cid wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:10 am
The fishing was indeed, great. I would definitely go back more prepared for a longer stay.
What species of fish were you catching?
All northern pike, and the rumors are true, pretty much every cast had a fish or a bite.

rich
NewbieCake

Post by rich » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:29 am

What lures did you use? I'm doing the feldtmann loop in August and am interested in fishing halloran as well.

Topic author
FF7Cid
NewbieCake

Post by FF7Cid » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:28 pm

rich wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:29 am
What lures did you use? I'm doing the feldtmann loop in August and am interested in fishing halloran as well.
Spoons and Spinners.