The web site hosting bill is due! Wanna help out?

Questions, answers, suggestions and/or opinions about this web board or, the Isle Royale Info web site. If it's a Web Board or Web Site operational question, check here for an answer or, to ask a question.

Moderator: fonixmunkee

fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

The web site hosting bill is due! Wanna help out?

Post by fonixmunkee »

Well, I got hit with the web hosting bill for the year. It's relatively cheap, but it's up from what it was...probably because of the increased bandwidth for this site.

I'm asking for those generous of heart to give a little to help pay for the bill. I would never resort to ads to help pay for stuff...because I hate them...so I'm just going to troll for donations. A few dollars goes a long way!

So if you're like me and visit the forums daily for your IR fix, or if you only stop by every now and then but have got some valuable information from it, please donate!

You can donate via PayPal by sending money to RichardKaufman(at)charter.net. Replace the "(at)" with the "@" symbol, minus the quotes.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: The web site hosting bill is due! Wanna help out?

Post by Tom »

Glad to help! Thanks for everything you've done.

Now... If the first time we meet on the Island, you're touring about in your brand new kevlar canoe with helium portage kit, well, we're going to have to talk... :lol:

Tom
Less Paul
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Less Paul »

"Helium portage kit..."

Hawwww!
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator

Post by fonixmunkee »

One thing I've learned from visiting Isle Royale is that the people who have formed a strong bond with the place have no bottom to their generosity. From lending a pot to cook with while in the backcountry, to helping haul out gear for an injured camper, I'm inspired by the kindness.

And this request just further backs the kindness and generosity in these people. In less than 24 hours, the hosting bill is close to paid off. Simply amazing.

Thanks to those who have donated. What's worth even more to me is the comments that accompanied the donations, such as "the forum helped me plan and get my trip off the ground," or "because of this forum, I had one of the most memorable trips of my life."

I'll leave this request open for another day or so. At the rate that this is going, if I go over the hosting bill, the rest gets donated to IRNHA.

So to everyone, I salute you, and thank you for your generosity and support. 8)
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator

Post by fonixmunkee »

Tom wrote:Glad to help! Thanks for everything you've done.

Now... If the first time we meet on the Island, you're touring about in your brand new kevlar canoe with helium portage kit, well, we're going to have to talk... :lol:

Tom
I forgot to comment on this, Tom :)

I don't kayak or canoe IR, just hike it, so you won't see me with one of these...yet. More likely, if you see me docked at Siskiwit or McCargoe in my new 40' boat, we should have a talk. :lol:
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

If I see you dock at McCargoe or Siskiwit in your new 40' boat, you're inviting me aboard for a relaxing beverage!

I'll second your comment, fonix, on the kindness and collaboration of IR campers. Sure, you get the rare occasional self-focused hiker, but I've never visited a place where the folks were more open to 'camp communism' or whatever you want to call it. Folks always seem to understand that we're 'all in this together' - Whether sharing a meal they just caught; helping out an injured party; helping fix broken gear; collecting firewood; nobody wants to see anyone else get hurt or having a rough time. What a great place, and this forum is an extension of that!
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator

Post by fonixmunkee »

Thanks to all those who helped out with the bill...I paid it today. I (and everyone else on this forum should!) appreciate your generosity.

Until next year (when I beg for more money)!
Kevinl
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Kevinl »

I was conveniently on the island when the bill came due. However, I would like to add my thanks for what you've done with this thing. Not only has it been useful for trip planning, etc., but it keeps me going through the winter, and also gives me something to do at work. You didn't hesitate to set this up when the previous site disappeared, and it is appreciated.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Kevinl wrote:I was conveniently on the island when the bill came due. However, I would like to add my thanks for what you've done with this thing. Not only has it been useful for trip planning, etc., but it keeps me going through the winter, and also gives me something to do at work. You didn't hesitate to set this up when the previous site disappeared, and it is appreciated.
Ditto,
Somehow I missed this one after returning. I would be happy to send you legal tender!!!
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator

Post by fonixmunkee »

johnhens wrote:
Kevinl wrote:I was conveniently on the island when the bill came due. However, I would like to add my thanks for what you've done with this thing. Not only has it been useful for trip planning, etc., but it keeps me going through the winter, and also gives me something to do at work. You didn't hesitate to set this up when the previous site disappeared, and it is appreciated.
Ditto,
Somehow I missed this one after returning. I would be happy to send you legal tender!!!
A convenient excuse no doubt! ;) The bill is already paid, so you can hold onto your legal tender until next time! Thanks for the offer!
LarryL
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by LarryL »

fonixmunkee wrote:
johnhens wrote:
Ditto,
A convenient excuse no doubt! ;) The bill is already paid, so you can hold onto your legal tender until next time! Thanks for the offer!
Count me in for next time, too. Thank you for all you do. This site is great. I've been absent from the site for several months, but it has recharged my IR energy (and POW activity) and I am looking at a 2009 trip. Can't wait!

BTW, did anyone ever hear from Mike Trembley or find out if he's OK? I see that the old site is still up, sans boards.
2 visits (2002 and 2009) and counting
Don_P
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Don_P »

Ditto... sorry I missed the call to action. Will get this next time.