IR first timer: trail and camping recommendations?

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

temporary-human
NewbieCake

IR first timer: trail and camping recommendations?

Post by temporary-human »

I am an intermediate hiker (daily limit is around 8-12mi with 1,700-4,800ft elevation) and beginner backpacker who is planning to visit Isle Royale for the first time this summer. I am hoping to learn from all of your expertise:

Questions:
  • What is the most beginner-friendly and scenic route for 6 days? I will be operating off of the below itinerary; obviously I need a little help with the trails and campsites!
  • Where can I find a comprehensive list of recommended supplies?
  • I have a couple months to train; what regimen is recommended?
Itinerary:
  • Wednesday, August 4th - Arrive in Windigo @ 9:30AM
  • Thursday, August 5th - ?
  • Friday, August 6th - ?
  • Saturday, August 7th - ?
  • Sunday, August 8th - ?
  • Monday, August 9th - ?
  • Tuesday, August 10th - Depart from Rock Harbor @ 7:15AM
Base654
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Re: IR first timer: trail and camping recommendations?

Post by Base654 »

Welcome to the forums.

You have enough time to do a comfortable end to end. If you don't have a Nat Geo map, go get one from REI or other. It is so much easier to sit and look at a map on the floor, and you will want it with you on the trail. I buy a new one every trip and write my diary on it. Then the map goes on the wall in a custom case, that can be removed and flipped through the years.

one suggested route:

4th Lake Desor
5h hatchet Lake
6th Moskey Basin
7th Daisy Farm or three Mile
8th Rock Harbor

You will have a extra day for weather, injury, or just like the campsite. Your itinerary is flexible, you leave a planned route with the rangers when you arrive, and up date it at the other end with what you actually did.

A comprehensive list is a very personal thing. I carry a 1 pound camp chair and a tiny first aid kit where others would ditch the chair for a bigger kit. I carry a two man tent to dump my backpack into, others would carry a single and keep their bag outside...
You can work off any general backpacking list, REI has a decent one on their site. I strongly suggest a head net and extra, extra bug spray. The bugs will start tapering off around that time, but you never know. It's all about the weather. When looking at the list think rain, sun, cold, warm, sore feet, bugs, eating, sleeping, walking, extra calories, water, sleeping. some people here will post their list, I don't have one anymore. Remember if you take it you will have to carry it for 60+ miles.

You should plan a couple of overnights out of your backpack at a nearby park to shake out the gear. Isle Royale is not huge on elevation changes, but every foot step is either up or down for most of the trail. If you can find a trail that requires stagger steps, stepping over and on things(big rocks) and balancing you have found a good place to train. Think walking across a stream on the tops of the rocks. I like the stairs at work for a month before I go. If you want a real boost walk up and down backwards, feel the burn. Train with your backpack on and carry the full load in you pack, including water and food.
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by thesneakymonkey »

I like the route listed above and would echo that as a recommendation for a first timer. Definitely do a shakedown pre trip.

Full list … well that’s a personal decision. Your pack might look very different from mine. That said this is what we pack as a couple for the island:

As for training just hit the trails. I’m a firm believer that hiking is the best way to condition for backpacking.
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

Here's my load out list for late summer/labor day. Yours might end up being vastly different than mine, but maybe this will give you a few things to consider.

Documents
• Boat/Plane Reservations
• $60 Cash

Clothing
• Hiking Underwear (1 Pair)
• Socks (3 Pair - 1 for sleeping only)
• Wicking T Shirt
• Long Sleeve ¼ Zip
• Fleece
• Rain jacket
• Rain Pants
• Gaiters
• Boots
• Long Underwear pants & Top (sleeping only)
• Wicking Shorts
• Sock Cap
• Sandals/camp shoes

Equipment
• Pack
• Water Filter & Cleaning Kit
• Water Bottles
• Phone & Charger (charger stays behind and my phone in airplane mode will last all week as a camera)
• Map
• First Aid Kit
o Ace bandage
o Ibuprofen
o Pepto
o Band Aids
o Triple Anti-biotic
o Antihistamine
o Mole Skin
o Blister Pad
• Bug Juice
• Knife
• Suspension
• Tarp & stakes
• Hammock
• Ridgeline
• Bug Net
• Quilts
• Stick Stove
• Kitchen
• Head Lamp

Food
• Dinners
• Breakfasts
• Snacks
• Extra Ziploc Bags (2-1 Gallon & 2-1 Quart)

Misc
• Cigars
• Bourbon
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by thesneakymonkey »

hooky wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:20 am Misc
• Cigars
• Bourbon

“Essentials” not “misc” :lol:
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

All very good advice thus far. For a beginner, the most common mistake is taking too much stuff; more specifically taking too much weight. My very first back packing experience was on Isle Royale with a borrowed pack and it weighed over 80 pounds!! It almost did me in. Actually it sort of did as I spent the time doing day hikes out of Daisy Farm rather than carry it.

The trade offs experienced backpackers are continuously juggling are weight, cost and durability and the answer is always...pick two since you normally cannot achieve all three. There are ultra-lightweight people that get their weight down into the "teens" while the average is probably 30 to 40 pounds with a full load of water and stove fuel.

As far as recommended equipment goes, the very basic must have list starts with:
1) Tent or rain fly (you can't be assured of getting one of the shelters)
2) Water filter (or stove with plenty of fuel for boiling; chemical treatment is also recommended after filtering but not needed if boiling)
3) Water bottles (minimum of 2 liters as water is often not available on trails)
4) Proper footwear (they should be "broken-in" for a good expectation of proper support for no blisters, etc)
5) First-Aid/Emergency kit (blister "repair" being the main item plus emergency fire starting, knife, etc)
6) Food of course (And if needed, means to cook it, heat it up, or boil water.)
7) Insect protection (I also recommend a head net that is usually not needed but sometimes indispensable)
Beyond that it becomes a matter of personal preference. Expect days with rain and wet conditions.

I suggest you read a book by Colin Fletcher called "The Complete Walker". It's 50+ years in print and while many items have advanced tremendously thanks to technology, his advice is very sound.

Lastly, practice - even if it's in your backyard.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013