Itinerary help June trip with teenager

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Stresch
NewbieCake

Itinerary help June trip with teenager

Post by Stresch »

I'm planning to go for a week in mid June with my 14 year old son. We've been to the island before, but he only got a short trip that was impacted by the Horne fire. I've been a few times and that was definitely my worst trip (crowded, terrible ferry ride home, closed trails), but it was still amazing (beavers, otters, moose, and an eagle snatching a fish from the lake). I'd like to show him more of the island and hopefully have a little bit of solitude. Moose sightings would be a bonus.
The plan is to take the plane to Rock Harbor on Saturday morning, backpack for the week and take the plane back from Rock Harbor the following Saturday.
Right now I'm thinking Lane Cove> Daisy Farm> McCargoe> Lake Ritchie> Chippewa Harbor > Moskey Basin > 3 Mile
We'd like to see some of the Greenstone ridge and spend one night at an inland lake, plus we both love Moskey Basin. I think the mileage is doable, and we can skip Chippewa if we want to take a zero day. My main concern is the Lane Cove might be better for the end of the trip. However, I'm not sure if Moskey to Lane Cove would be too much. I'd like to avoid two nights at Daisy Farm. The last night at 3 Mile seems best since I don't want to risk missing the plane home.
Any input is appreciated! Thanks!
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Itinerary help June trip with teenager

Post by Ingo »

Have you considered doing the west end Feldtmann and Huginnin loops?
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Stresch
NewbieCake

Post by Stresch »

I hadn't. I've never been to the west side. So, Island Mind, Siskiwit Bay, maybe two nights at Feldmann Lake, Washington Creek, Huggins Cove? That's one fewer night, but we could possibly do Washington Creek again on the last night. That's less hiking overall and a few longer days, but it fun to see something completely new.
Probably fewer crowds and a greater chance of moose, right?
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Stresch wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:16 pm I hadn't. I've never been to the west side. So, Island Mind, Siskiwit Bay, maybe two nights at Feldmann Lake, Washington Creek, Huggins Cove? That's one fewer night, but we could possibly do Washington Creek again on the last night. That's less hiking overall and a few longer days, but it fun to see something completely new.
Probably fewer crowds and a greater chance of moose, right?
Yup, that's the idea! I saw a ton of moose at Feldtmann campground. Great views from the Feldtmann fire tower. Rainbow Cove and Siskiwit Bay have long pebble beaches. Huginnin is a little bay on a rugged coastline. Do be prepared for wet and muddy trails that time of year--applies to either end, but maybe more so on the west which isn't quite as rocky as the east.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
rich
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by rich »

I did Moskey to Lane Cove last year. It is a long hike, but there are several nice stops along the way you could enjoy an extended rest at (Ojibway Fire Tower, Mt. Franklin Overlook). You'll get a nice sampling of all the island terrain during this hike as well. I also enjoyed watching the Ojibway Fire Tower get larger and larger as I approached. It made for a fun goal.

As far as Lane Cove at the beginning or end of your hike, it is a fairly strenuous ridge climb & descent. Plus after that ridge work the campground is quite a ways away. I did it at the end of my trip. It would have been nicer at the beginning with fresher legs and not having to rush out in the morning to make my flight home. It is a very peaceful campground. The hike from Lane Cove -> Tobin Harbor ranks among my favorite hikes on the island.
2018: Feldtmann Lake, Siskiwit Bay, Windigo
2019: Chippewa Harbor, Moskey Basin, West Chickenbone, Rock Harbor
2022: Moskey Basin, Lane Cove