Copper Harbor Parking

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

odd man out
LNT Expert

Copper Harbor Parking

Post by odd man out »

I'm planning a 4 night backpacking trip for summer. I will be driving up from southern MI so I have a choice between the Ranger and the Queen. I'm leaning toward the Queen as it gives more flexibility in schedule and essentially one extra day since it arrives earlier and departs later in the day. I also figure that I could arrive on a Thursday and depart on a Monday to avoid the crowd coming and going on the Ranger. I know the disadvantages of the Queen (rougher ride, permits not available on ship) but for me the advantages seem to win. I was wondering if there was any way to save on the $50 parking fee they charge? I'm thinking of doing a DF to MC to MB to TM or LC loop. Tips appreciated.
CharlesGambee1864
NewbieCake

Re: Copper Harbor Parking

Post by CharlesGambee1864 »

Last summer we stayed at the Minnetonka Resort a few blocks away from the Queen dock. They allowed us to stay parked in the overflow lot while we were on Isle Royale. Not sure if this is their policy, but it was certainly a nice cost savings!
Bobcat1
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: Copper Harbor Parking

Post by Bobcat1 »

As far as the actual parking fees, it's a trade-off. The least expensive way to go is to take the Ranger III, and park for free. But it takes longer and has sailings just a couple days a week. For the daily schedule and extra time on the island, is the $50 parking max fee, and the more expensive crossing fee worth it? There's also a peace of mind component. If you try to park elsewhere to avoid the fee, will you worry about your car getting towed while you are out on the island? If you take the Voyager or the Sea Hunter, it's $5/day with no max so the Queen's $50 cut-off helps keep your costs manageable!
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC