Trip Planning Web Page

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

odd man out
LNT Expert

Trip Planning Web Page

Post by odd man out »

Some time ago Ingo posted a trip planning spreadsheet here:

viewtopic.php?p=19685#p19685

I found it very useful. But wile planning for my trip in August, I thought it might be nice to have a clickable web page version. Then I though I could actually do this as I know a little (very little, actually) about coding javascript programed web pages and rather enjoy doing that in my spare time (I know, it's a very geeky hobby). Anyway here is my first attempt. It would be great to get some feedback from the forum. What could be improved (keeping in mind I am a very amateur coder) or what mistakes you may find.

Mileages were adapted from Ingo's spreadsheet. However I did make a few changes. I did not include paddle trips, but I do include intra-island transportation options as well as inormational tips, hints and advice. Also, There were a couple of places where I lumped separate destinations into one. So in this version Windigo, Rock Harbor, and Daisy Farm are all treated as a single destination, ignoring the fact that you may walk a few tenths of a mile from dock to campground to store, to lodge, etc. Also, if there is a more authoritative source of mileages, or if some of these seem way off, let me know. Also, the difficulty of the trails was based on the DuFresne Guide book (I have a 1st edition). Trails are rated on a scale of 1 to 5 (from easy to hard) but the book just gives a difficulty rating for a whole trail (Minong Ridge is a 5 and Greenstone is a 3, for example). But if a section of that trail may be rated easier then that could be reflected in the web page data (maybe McCargo Cove to Todd Harbor is a 4 instead of a 5?). People with more knowledge of the trails than I should feel free to make suggestions. The notes and messages window could include more information if people think that would be helpful or appropriate.

This web page is not posted on the internet. Instead, you should be able to use the link below to download HTML the file to your own computer. Then open the file with a javascript enabled web browser and play away. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8n17hpjsrmdvm ... .html?dl=0
Buckeye
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Re: Trip Planning Web Page

Post by Buckeye »

Worked great for me. Nice job!

Only suggestion I have would be to replace "(c)" with "camp" in the descriptions. It's only a 1 character penalty, but offers more clarity.
11 DF-WC-MB-3M-RH
14 CH-MB-DF-3M
18 CH-MB-MC-DF-LC
19 MC-MB-3M-RH
21 FL-SB-HL-EC-RH
23 ML-HL-LT-ND-WC
odd man out
LNT Expert

Re: Trip Planning Web Page

Post by odd man out »

I can look into that. I was concerned about having too much text to fit on a screen. I have a wide monitor. I had to keep reminding myself that just because it all fits on my screen, it may not on other's.