Random thoughts and questions

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: Random thoughts and questions

Post by hooky »

I believe your answer to #2 is that it's an old logging road that supported logging around the Big Siskiwit River described in this link.

https://iri.forest.mtu.edu/Historic_Logging.htm
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by dcclark »

hooky wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:47 pm I believe your answer to #2 is that it's an old logging road that supported logging around the Big Siskiwit River described in this link.

That is definitely possible, and I'm definitely leaning towards some kind of logging-related item. The surrounding area would probably have had good hardwoods in it. But, my understanding of the logging described in the link is that it was on the other end of the Feldtmann trail (east end, towards Siskiwit). The area I'm describing is on the west end, near Feldtmann Lake, and away from the Big Siskiwit River.
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

dcclark wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:24 pm
hooky wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:47 pm I believe your answer to #2 is that it's an old logging road that supported logging around the Big Siskiwit River described in this link.

That is definitely possible, and I'm definitely leaning towards some kind of logging-related item. The surrounding area would probably have had good hardwoods in it. But, my understanding of the logging described in the link is that it was on the other end of the Feldtmann trail (east end, towards Siskiwit). The area I'm describing is on the west end, near Feldtmann Lake, and away from the Big Siskiwit River.
Sorry, I misunderstood. I was thinking you were talking about FL to Sisk as you climb down and do that flat, bug infested run to Siskiwit, south of the river.
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by IncaRoads »

dcclark wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:26 pm 2. What is the long berm that the Feldtmann trail follows? For about a mile near Feldtmann Lake campground, before climbing the ridge, the trail follows a long, straight berm that rises 4 or 5 feet above the surrounding swamp. This ends within half a mile of the campground. It's remarkably uniform -- enough that it seems artificial. But it also has things that make it seem natural, like large rocks sticking out of it where no human would bother to lift them, a generally rounded top, and some stream crossings or washed out areas. It's similar to a railroad grade, but too narrow, and the top is rounded, plus I have no clue who would need a railroad in that area.
The geologic feature you refer to could be 1) the final westward portion of the Feldtmann Ridge comprised of Copper Harbor Conglomerate or 2) the ancient shoreline of Feldtmann Lake.

Screen Shot 2023-06-09 at 10.02.03 PM.png

The attachment above is a portion of the "Geologic Map of Isle Royale National Park", https://irma.nps.gov/DataStore/DownloadFile/598187 . Refer to this document for more information on the legends used.

The shading of the Copper Harbor Conglomerate ridge just south of Feldtmann Lake indicates that it is comprised of boulders (>10") and cobble (approx. 3"-10" diameter).

One can also see the extent of ancient Feldtmann Lake which extended right up to the base of the aforementioned Copper Harbor Conglomerate ridge.
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by dcclark »

IncaRoads, that's a very good solution - it would match the Copper Harbor Conglomerate well.