Thoughts on trip plans please

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Rickmo
NewbieCake

Thoughts on trip plans please

Post by Rickmo »

Taking the Isle Royale Queen on Saturday July 22 and will leave IR on the 27th.
Day 1 arrive and hike to Daisy Farm
Day 2 hike to McCargoe Cove
Day 3. Hike to Lake Ritchie
Day 4 hike to Daisy Farm
Day 5 hike to Rock Harbor
Day 6 Relax at Rock Harbor depart at 2:45

I am 57 and hiking with my 18 yr old daughter. She’s in great condition and I’m in average shape.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Thoughts on trip plans please

Post by Ingo »

Looks like a good plan to me, although I’m usually paddling. Most folks would probably say go to Mosley Basin instead of Richie, but Richie is a beautiful spot too if the bugs aren’t terrible and most important, there isn’t an algae bloom. But you can see how you feel and decide as you go. Moskey can have beautiful sunrises, but is often full to overflowing these days. Richie gives you the inland lake experience, and is probably less busy.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
backwoods doc
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by backwoods doc »

I like how you have an extra day in your plan. So if you get to Richie (or Moskey?) and decide to spend 2 nights, you can. If so, you can easily hike back from Daisy Farm on the morning of your final day.
2018, 2019, 2021 (all inland lakes by canoe); 2022 X2 (RH and WC); 2023 HC
Buckeye
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by Buckeye »

Certainly doable. Just make sure you are conditioning for the trip. The hike to Daisy is very rocky/rooted, so it will work muscles that don't get worked on flat ground. You can reduce the stress by hiking out of Rock Harbor on the Tobin Harbor trail. The Hike from Daisy to McCargoe is hot and dry in late July. If there's an algae bloom in Chickenbone, you won't have access to water until McCargoe.
I'm in the Moskey over Richie group. Moskey is only 2.3 miles of flat ground past Richie.
11 DF-WC-MB-3M-RH
14 CH-MB-DF-3M
18 CH-MB-MC-DF-LC
19 MC-MB-3M-RH
21 FL-SB-HL-EC-RH
23 ML-HL-LT-ND-WC