1973 Map

Questions regarding the history of the island and historical places on the island.

Moderator: drobarge

cherrypinklimeade
NewbieCake

1973 Map

Post by cherrypinklimeade »

I've been going through boxes from my dad and came across this neat 1973 map, showing the old trail to Feldtmann Lake. Interesting descriptions in the margins. I scanned it in and I'm still working on aligning and color correcting but I wanted to share the rough draft. Also, a picture of my dad from one of his many trips. We think the picture was taken sometime in the mid to late 70s, potentially at Moskey Basin but not too certain.

Link to larger file
Attachments
Isle Royale Map - R. M. Linn 1973_copy.png
WEB - Isle Royale mid to late 1970s.png
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Re: 1973 Map

Post by dcclark »

Neat photo, and map too. The link wants me to request access -- could you allow anybody with the link to view it? I'd love to look at the map up close.
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by IncaRoads »

Another interesting note on the map that I also remember from my 1972 trip, the Rock Harbor Trail from Daisy Farm to Moskey Basin was situated at the shoreline.
cherrypinklimeade
NewbieCake

Post by cherrypinklimeade »

dcclark wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:45 pm Neat photo, and map too. The link wants me to request access -- could you allow anybody with the link to view it? I'd love to look at the map up close.
Thanks for letting me know! Link should be working now.
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by dcclark »

Thanks, it works! That was a lot of fun to look at. Interesting details I noticed beyond what's mentioned above:

- No marked campgrounds at Feldtmann, Island Mine, East Chickenbone, Lake Richie, North Desor, Little Todd, or Lane Cove -- maybe informal or off-trail camping was expected? Also looks like paddlers were mostly on their own.
- Side trail to Lake Halloran from Feldtmann Ridge
- Windigo Inn still operating at Windigo
- Huginnin Cove had a dock! West Chickenbone and Hatchet did too?
- No Tobin Harbor trail

One of the "bros" I met this year at Feldtmann was using a Garmin app (I think) that showed the old Feldtmann Lake trail that appears on this map. It's still confusing people to this day.