Campsite Water Source Question

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

bknhkr
NewbieCake

Campsite Water Source Question

Post by bknhkr »

Hello all,
I am planning a trip with my wife to the island later this year, and I had a couple of questions regarding the water sources at the campsites. Our plan would be to hike from Windigo to Rock Harbor via the Greenstone Ridge trail over probably 6 days. In doing that we would be staying at all the campsites along the trail, except for perhaps Daisy Farm. My original thought was to go at either the end of August or the first week in September. However, after finding some information about the algae blooms in the interior lakes, I am maybe thinking of going a bit earlier.
Some of my questions have to do with the algae bloom issue. Is that a yearly occurrence or is it a sporadic/random event? Would going earlier in August give us a better chance of not running into the algae blooms? Also, are all of the lakes that are campsite water sources prone to the algae blooms, or are there just certain ones that are problematic? As I have never been to the island, I am not familiar with how the camp locations are set up with regard to the lakes and the shoreline. If the area of the lake by the campsites has the algae, is it possible to walk the shoreline a bit to get away from it?
I was also wondering about the creek that is the water source for Island Mine. Does it have a chance of being dry in the August time frame? Just wondering if I would need to carry water for that first night and second day.
I am just asking these questions so I would know if I have to carry water for us on some of the days. Thanks for any input.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Campsite Water Source Question

Post by Ingo »

Lakes Richie and Chickenbone seem to be the most affected in the past, but also Livermore and Intermediate. I don't recall hearing of algae blooms on Hatchet or Desor. They've occurred at least once in early June, but more often later in the summer (July-Aug). Best plan is to be flexible and have a plan B (and maybe C), and also have the means to carry extra water if necessary. I'd bring a couple extra Platypuses--they pack small and light even if you don't need them. The rangers will notify you of any current blooms during orientation. If any part of the lake is affected you don't want to drink water from any of it.

Alternate routes could include Todd Harbor and the Minong Trail to McCargoe Cove, and Moskey Basin instead of Lake Richie. I don't recall hearing of someone being left completely dry at Island Mine, the worst I recall is someone having to dig a hole to get water. Again, the rangers should have current info when you register. It's not a bad hike off the boat (or morning plane), and if you're decent shape S Desor is also an option.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by JerryB »

Ingo nailed it. I would add just a few comments. I have never seen Island Mine totally dry. Slow, muddy, yes, but never totally dry. If it were, in addition to trekking on to Desor, you could go down to L Superior or even the creek running down along the trail to Superior. Also, while i am sure the rangers will know about any algae blooms, i would not count on them knowing about IM. Last year, one ranger—very early in the season—could give nothing but the most general boiler-plate guidance. Also, agree with Ingo on the value of flexibility and backup plans. Enjoy!
cherrypinklimeade
NewbieCake

Post by cherrypinklimeade »

Adding on to both Into and JerryB; I was at Island Mine in September 2023, even after a summer of low rain there was still running water. Definitely low, but there. One of my traveling companions was squeamish so we did filter and also boil, but it was fine.