Lake Superior Wrath

Questions regarding Weather, Bugs, Northern Lights and other "natural" phenomena.

Moderator: drobarge

head2north
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Lake Superior Wrath

Post by head2north »

This has to be a "natural" phenomena as required for posting in "Weather and Bugs"

I had to check the wave action with the current storm condition. Even though it is online and
not in position on shore, I am in awe and in comfort it is not from a boat.

Never have i seen waves recorded this high.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/greatlakes/?c=map&l=ls&p=a&m=wh
Attachments
Lake Superior December 10 2009 Wave Height.jpg
"Now I see the secret of making the best person: it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with earth" - Walt Whitman
greg
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 28

Re: Lake Superior Wrath

Post by greg »

My goodness, what an awesome force Lake Superior can be. I am thankful not to be out in conditions like this. It would be fascinating to see the lake safely from the shore on a winter day like this. Greg Romaneck
Greg M. Romaneck
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

One of these days, I will be at the tip of the Keeweenaw for one of these storms!!!
Thanks for posting!!!
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Standing on top of Scoville Point and getting soaked by the waves was pretty awesome. That was 30 years ago. And in the summer.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Damon S
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by Damon S »

I believe the highest recorded, or known have been in the high 20's, and 50 ft waves are possible.

Eyewitness accounts the night the Fitz went down said they were 40ft!

I spoke to an older lady a few years back in Grand Marais Michigan and picked her brain about that night. She remembered it vividly and told me about how high the waves were, and to put it into perspective, there's a campground in town there on Lake Superior. If you're ever up that way check it out. It's just up the road from G. Marais harbor. She pointed at the shoreline and the the hillside adjacent to the campground. It's quite high with a stairway that leads down to a very expansive beach. She told me the waves were so high, they were overrunning the couple hundred yards of beach and pounding the hillside, reaching the grass at the campground. Just by my estimation and her account, the waves had to be 35' or more!

Unreal.

Damon