2010 Artist in Residence Program

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

2010 Artist in Residence Program

Post by johnhens »

If you are interested or know someone who might be interested, here is info about the 2010 Artist in Residence Program for Isle Royale:

Park's 2010 Artist-in-Residence Program,” announced Phyllis Green, Superintendent of
Isle Royale National Park. “This program provides artists the opportunity to become part of a
long-established tradition of interpreting the national parks through works of art.”
The Artist-in-Residence Program at Isle Royale is open to professional artists whose
work can be inspired by the park's unique character. The program offers writers,
composers, and all visual and performing artists the opportunity to capture the moods and
magic of Isle Royale through their particular art form.
The selected artist will be given the use of a canoe and a rustic cabin while on the
island. The program runs from mid-June through early September. Complimentary
transportation to and from the island is provided on the Ranger III, a 165-foot ship operating
from Houghton, Michigan. Each residency is scheduled for two to three weeks.
The Artist-in-Residence Program is co-sponsored by Isle Royale National Park, Isle
Royale and Keweenaw Parks Association and the Copper Country Community Arts Council.
Artists will be enrolled in the National Park Service's Volunteer in the Parks Program.
During the residency, the artists will be asked to share their experience with the public
through art presentations or demonstrations. The artists are required to contribute an art piece
that is representative of their Isle Royale residency.
A panel of professionals from various art disciplines and a park representative will
choose the finalists. The selection is based on artistic integrity, ability to reside in a
wilderness environment, a willingness to donate a finished piece of artwork inspired on the
island, and the artists' ability to relate and interpret the park through their art medium. The
program is open to all art forms except those that manipulate or disturb the park's fragile
environment.
Picturesque Isle Royale is ideally suited for an Artist-in-Residence Program. There
are wave-washed shores, boreal forests of spruce and fir, miles of ridge and valley
topography, fascinating wildlife, and a variety of wildflowers and other interesting plants. Isle
Royale's cultural history includes prehistoric copper mining, lighthouses, commercial
fisheries, and maritime culture. Ninety-eight percent of the Island is federally designated
Wilderness, and in 1981 the park was designated as a U.S. Biosphere Reserve.
Applications for the program must be postmarked by February 16, 2010. Entries
postmarked after February 16 will not be considered. Notification will be made by May 1,
2010. For further information or to receive an application package, please contact: Artist-in-
Residence Program, Isle Royale National Park, 800 East Lakeshore Drive, Houghton,
Michigan 49931-1869, or call 906-482-0984.
Isle Royale National Park is one of only thirty National Parks offering this
exciting program. For further information on other National Park Artist-in-Residence
Programs, please visit www.nps.gov/archive/volunteer/air.htm.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Re: 2010 Artist in Residence Program

Post by fonixmunkee »

Is the AIR program back? Didn't they take a year or two hiatus from it? If so, I'm glad it's back!
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

fonixmunkee wrote:Is the AIR program back? Didn't they take a year or two hiatus from it? If so, I'm glad it's back!
fonix,
as far as I know they did it last year and the year before!!
Any snow your way?
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

Not yet, but tomorrow it's supposed to start. The UP is going to get a bunch I guess.
Kevinl
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Kevinl »

I sent my application in last week. Fingers crossed. Either way, I'll get to that island this year.
niners
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by niners »

Good Luck Kevin!!!