IR declination

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

larrysheldon
NewbieCake

IR declination

Post by larrysheldon »

just learning to use compass so bear with me.... Is IR East, West or zero declination?
head2north
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Re: IR declination

Post by head2north »

I don't know, but Isle Royale would be a great place for a start and practice for using
a compass. You will never be over 100 yards from target as you would hit a trail or
Lake Superior before you could ever dig yourself into a hole.

But know thinking, i believe the Magnetic North Pole is drifting in westward direction and farther
North relative to United States. I could be wrong.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

About 4 degrees West, if memory serves. Drifting lightly to the West. Not big enough to warrant too much of a change in navigation. If on land, the terrain will jurisdict your general path; on water, well, then it's an option.

I haven't tested it, but given the geology of the Isle it's possible that the iron within the rock would cause a greater issue than declination, with the compass providing errant readings if you're too close to a mass of metal. Those who hike in Minnesota's iron range will know what I'm talking about... a 'goofy' compass..

Good luck with learning the skill, however! Having orienteering/compass skills is a great thing to have in one's hiking repertoire.
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Backpacker534 »

Tom, you may be right about the large metal deposits skewing the compass reading. Although, like head2north said, it would probably be pretty hard to get lost as long as you don't stray too far from the trail. And, using a topo map would help hone your orienteering skills as it relates to determining your position based on landmarks and map features. I'd be interested in hearing from someone with some real expertise in terms of the whole "compass and metal in the earth thing".
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

According to NOAA Chart 14976, deviation was 3º45'W in 2004 with an annual increase of 6'.

So, Tom is correct, just under 4º: 3º81'W.
larrysheldon
NewbieCake

Post by larrysheldon »

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply to my post. I am new to backpacking and have been very impressed with the backpacking community as a whole.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

larrysheldon wrote:Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply to my post. I am new to backpacking and have been very impressed with the backpacking community as a whole.
Lots of knowledge and experinece here, don't be timid about Questions you may have!!!
We were all new to Backpacking at one point!!!
Dominator
NewbieCake

Post by Dominator »

Hi all, it has been a while since I was here last. The most recent declination figures are 3 Degrees 29 Minutes West at the Windigo dock with an increase to 4 Degrees 12 Minutes West at the Rock Harbor dock. 8)