We are looking for some feedback

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

Capt Don
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 546

We are looking for some feedback

Post by Capt Don »

For many years the Wenonah offered various food items including sandwiches on the day trip to Windigo. We discontinued sanwiches when the boat resumed service following the low water interruption of 2007-08. We have received many requests to offer sanwiches aboard the boat again and are considering doing so.
This has left me wondering if it would be something Vll passengers would like as well. We want to offer something simple yet satisfying, we don't have the facilities nor desire to become a floating restaurant. Something along the lines of a wrap style sandwich, containing turkey or ham, cheese with lettuce and tomato along with those little condiment packets, I think we could put something like that together for about $3, or combine it with chips and a drink for $6. Would those of you that ride beyond Windigo or those heading back to Grand Portage that get on at Chippewa or Malone be interested or do you have your own food for the ride? I need your help planning this, we could add items like fresh fruit, or vegetarian wraps as well, but don't want to end up wasting a bunch of food if people don't want it. I welcome any comments or suggestions that might help in putting together a (small) menu.
Kevinl
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Re: We are looking for some feedback

Post by Kevinl »

Hi Captain Don.

When leaving from Grand Portage, I have always brought a lunch and snacks (from the gas station) on the boat, but if you offered something on the boat I would eat that instead. I usually buy a couple of your candy bars coming and going. And if you were to pick me up from Chippewa or somewhere similar and offered lunch on the boat I would probably eat three of those. Whatever it would be. On the other hand, I usually have something leftover or run up to the Windigo store if it's open and grab something. In other words, I would certainly take advantage of your offerings but wouldn't be put out if they didn't exist. Thanks.
niners
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by niners »

Great idea! It would be nice to have some alternatives to the candy bars, and any food other than dehydrated/trail food is always wonderful after a week on the island. I like your idea of the wrap sandwiches, and although I am not a vegitarian, I think that option would be important to offer for a lot of people. The fresh fruit idea is a good one as well. Any chance we could get you to add "Ice Cold Beer" to the menu :D :D :D
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

If you can't add beer to your menu, wish the store could. Equal opportunity for the west end folks.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Capt Don, that would definitely be a plus for me. Lunch on the boat is always lacking in my planning. Last year we got a couple sandwiches at Ryden's but by the time we ate them they were awful. Another trip when we were picked up at C.H. left over trail mix was lunch--and I think we cleaned out your candy bars :) Bottom line is whatever you have I'd probably eat, even if it's just fruit and candy bars!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

I'd be all about some new snackage on the VII. On the way out I usually bring something to tide me over, but on the way back we have nothing (sometimes we can plan perfectly!). Who wants to haul around snacks for the ride back anyway? Now there's zero need to if there's some fresh fruit or similar on the ride back!

I'm all for it, and I also second the "ice cold beer" as well. ;)
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

It would be awesome if the VII carried a few options. Add me to the fan list.
I've typically stocked up at the Trading Post, but then two years ago, they had NUTHIN' in terms of lunch items. We ate cheetos (not that it's BAD, mind you) and some crackers. Last year we stopped in Grand Marais and picked up exactly what you're considering, some simple prepackaged sandwiches. It works out great, except I needed to bring a cooler just so they'd last the night.
Also, it would be an option for those times we're getting picked up on the return route, instead of rushing up to the store..
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

I think wraps is agreat idea, and fruit. As others have mentioned, we wouldn't have to bring lunch, and would look forward to a wrap, chips and a Coke that is so cold, there is slush forming inside and you get a headache from chugging it down!!!
Don't get me started on beer!!!! :lol:
loreeh
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 5

Post by loreeh »

the wrap sandwiches sound great especially going home from island. The beer idea is great too, if you didn't get to Rock Harbor and have one, of course carrying beer might be a problem? The candy bars and pop and coffee have always been appreciated. Thanks for everything you do to get us there and home in good and bad weather
LarryL
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by LarryL »

Yeah, I like the idea of some food on the VII. We didn't have much to munch on for our trip from GP to RH on 7/22/2009. I think I munched down 2 or 3 of your Payday bars or the like. How about chips, nuts, sloppy joes, chili (great for guys that will be tenting in a few hours), ham & cheese sandwiches?

Our return trip from RH back to GP on the VII was on the morning of 7/29/2009. It was quite a trip - you guys warned us about rough seas before we left RH. Lots of people bought sandwiches and snacks when we got to Windigo. I'm sure that money would be spent on the VII if you offered food. Of course, much of that Windigo food was hurled overboard to feed the Lake Superior fish that day (a LNT violation?). :lol: Very memorable - thanks for getting us all home safe. I'd do it again.
Attachments
2009 July Isle Royale Hi Adv VII resize 001.jpg
2 visits (2002 and 2009) and counting