Waterfalls

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

rubbershield
NewbieCake

Waterfalls

Post by rubbershield »

So who knows about any secret waterfalls on IR? I'm going make panoramas of campsites, graffiti, lakes, sunsets, and anything else interesting while I'm there and I think waterfalls would make a great setting.

I know about the ones near Todd Harbor (just past the mine pits) and Siskiwit falls. I remember hearing gurgling water just south of the Feldtmann campsite the last time I was there, but I was too exhausted to walk my sorry butt a few hundred feet to see.

It's hard to tell on an elevation map, but it looks like there might be ones near Huginnin Cove and Chippewa Harbor. Any confirmation on these? Any others?

I'm leaving this Friday 5/14 so even the smallest waterfall should be in full force.
mdenys
NewbieCake

Re: Waterfalls

Post by mdenys »

After leaving the Feldtmann Lake campground on the way up to the ridge. About 1/2 mile south (off to the right) of the trail just before the Feldtmann Lake over look there is a series of waterfalls. By the time the water reaches the trail below it is more of a swamp than an actual stream. I was there early last spring after rain and while the stream was not very wide there were several nice waterfalls. I would imagine it is barely a trickle in the summer.
Isle Royale Rob
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by Isle Royale Rob »

Depending on water levels, I know of a small waterfall just north of Daisy Farms campground, off the Mt. Ojibway Trail. You will have to do a little bush wacking but it is not that thick at all. Basically as your heading north from Daisy Farm on the Mt. Ojibway trail, after a climb up a ridge and then back down the ridge you will come aross a boardwalk over a creek. There is a beaver pond to the west. The waterfall is located between the beaver pond and Lake Ojibway.
I was there in 2001 and there was a good flow over the waterfall. But in 2008 there was barely a trickle!

Look at the map. the waterfall is near the letter K and E of the word "Lake Ojibway".
Attachments
SC-1759-Todd Harbor Water Falls.PNG
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (19.28 KiB) Viewed 5405 times
hiked 2000, hiked 2001, boater in 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011, solo hiked 2016, boater 2018, boater 2021, Boater 2022
10years=90days!!!
LeftOvers
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Post by LeftOvers »

It's been a while but I don't remember any waterfall around Chippewa Harbor.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

You might not get this before you leave, but I am unaware of waterfalls at either Feldtmann or Chippewa.

P.S., Enjoy your trip, and don't forget to share your pictures!