Pictured Rocks!

Got some trip suggestions at another National Park, or know of a great place in the middle of no where? Share them here, plan your trips, and hook up with other individuals on the forum.

Moderator: alecto73

k2one
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Pictured Rocks!

Post by k2one »

If anybody is interested in a wonderful place to hike and camp try the Chapel area in Pictured Rocks. On my way up from S.E Michigan I stop for a day or two at the Rocks then to Copper Harbor and hop on the Queen to the Island!!! Also Grand Island is a neat place to visit. The Munising area has so much to see and do!!!
kfinnguy
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: Pictured Rocks!

Post by kfinnguy »

We are planning on stopping there on our way to copper harbor for a few hours. Any ideas on what to do in that short time?
"The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences."
— Chris McCandless
k2one
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by k2one »

Depending on when and how long you are going to be in Munising they have a Pictured Rocks boat cruise that will take you out to see the cliffs and formations.I think it lasts about 3 hours? Also it is a nice little town just to walk around.Check out a restaurant called the Dogpatch!! A good idea would be to check out the the Munising website.
DP89
NewbieCake

Post by DP89 »

Pictured Rocks is an amazing place to visit, hike and camp that is for sure. It just has so much to offer, with obviously the spectacular cliffs, the waterfalls, and giant dunes on the eastern end of the park.

If you are going to do a day hike, I suggest doing the full Chapel Loop all the way to Mosquito Beach and then head back inland. It is about 9.5 miles for the whole thing, but you can cut it in half if you want to make it shorter.

The Munising area has a LOT to offer. For more details I suggest this site:

http://www.exploremunising.com/attractions.html
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Backpacker534 »

My buddy and I backpacked at Pictured Rocks several years ago. The views are amazing! If you have time for a 4-5 day hike in that area, definitely give it a try, you wont be disappointed.
Pioneer Spirit
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Pioneer Spirit »

I know the Buckeye trail folks here in Ohio have a trip set up to Pictured rocks in September. I was going to go but life keeps getting in the way. Maybe some of you folks can figure out how to tag along or form a joint venture.

http://buckeyetrail.org/events.html
Live every day as if it was your last because one day you will be right.
CHUCKX53
NewbieCake

Post by CHUCKX53 »

I have hiked a bit in Pictured Rocks, and taken the boat tour also. Awesome Place !

Trail Map of Pictured Rocks........

http://www.munising.com/Maps/pictured-rocks.html
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
NewbieCake

Post by CHUCKX53 »

Also....For the hale and hearty, visit the Lighthouse at Au Sable Point, near the Hurricaine River Campground in the Park.......

http://www.lighthousefriends.com/light.asp?ID=724
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by jrwiesz »

So, I'm bringing this thread back to life.

Any one have ideas for shuttle services in the area, other than the "Altran" transportation services?

To me they seem, not all that accommodating to early season hikers.

I am leaving tomorrow for the "Rocks", but only know of this company that provides the shuttle service from Munising to Gran Marais.

I would like to thru the NCT portion of the park; which is essentially the Lakeshore trail.

Help, please.

Thanks for any input. :)
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR

Post by jrwiesz »

Too late, I'm gone. :?
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR

Post by jrwiesz »

Picture Rocks is a great place to base camp and do day hikes; first time there last week, but it won't be the last.
Jim DuFresne
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR

Post by jrwiesz »

I thought I would share some photos. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim DuFresne
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR

Post by jrwiesz »

Is there a better way upload photos, than to re-size all of them to fit in this boards format/size limits?

What am I missing?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim DuFresne
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR

Post by jrwiesz »

Maybe, my Kodak Easy Share camera takes too large a photo?

Or, have I put the camera settings, on the wrong settings to take the correct size photo?
Jim DuFresne
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR

Post by jrwiesz »

Is there anybody in there?

Just nod if you can hear me. :) :?:
Jim DuFresne