Mammoth Caves National Park

Got some trip suggestions at another National Park, or know of a great place in the middle of no where? Share them here, plan your trips, and hook up with other individuals on the forum.

Moderator: alecto73

CHUCKX53
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Mammoth Caves National Park

Post by CHUCKX53 »

One of my favorite National Parks, where the action is underground, is Mammoth Caves National Park in Kentucky. Although my last visit there was 1994, when I was a much younger (and better) hiker, the images of the below-ground wonder still live on.

Not much in the way of Internet in those days, but here's some sites that look helpful....

http://www.mammothcave.com/

http://www.gorp.com/parks-guide/mammoth ... d9161.html

There are plenty of above ground trails as well.....

http://www.mammoth.cave.national-park.com/map.htm
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
PatrickBDunlap
LNT Expert

Re: Mammoth Caves National Park

Post by PatrickBDunlap »

Each year my wife and I plan our big backpacking trip among the little ones we go on here and there and I have looked into Mammoth Caves. I think it would be cool to do some backpacking and come and do a cave here and there. Outside of the caves are there many opportunities to backpack on some one night loops or anything?
RichardT
NewbieCake

Post by RichardT »

I used to live just north of there in Louisville. I'm not aware of many long trails there. Most of the hiking in Kentucky is in the Eastern part where Daniel Boone Forest and Red River Gorge are. One thing I would recommend is hiring a private cave guide because there are a lot of cave systems in that area that can be quite cool but are best explored with experienced spelunkers.
Richard1961
LNT Expert

Post by Richard1961 »

I have been to Mammoth Caves National Park 5 times over the past 40 years. And there was something new to see every trip. They have so many tour options there should be something for everyone. I don't know if they still have it, but I even took a tour that included a boat ride in the underground river. Some of my favorite tours are the historic tours. This place is full of history. If you are afraid of the dark don't take the torch tour. When you turn down the lights and go in by torchlight it adds a whole new level to the spookiness. When you go in by torchlight the darkness closses in around you. Then they light little fireballs and throw to the corners of a big room. Think back to some of the early explorers who found themself deep in the caves with torchs that went out leaving them to find there way out in total darkness or die. In the modern world it is hard to find a place with total darkness. Todays cities throw so much light polution into the sky you have to sometimes drive a hour or more just to see the stars. With campgrounds surrounding the cave there is enough to do for several days. Or if you are just passing by, there are several 1 or 2 hour tours to give you a glimpse at the wonder below. Like Isle Royale the cave has several animals that have evolved with in the cave. Fish and crayfish without eyes to name a couple. Can you think how it would be to live your whole life without ever seeing light? Well with my limited walking skills today the most I can hope for is the elevator ride down to the snowball room for a quick lunch.
drobarge
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 24

Post by drobarge »

The lodging and concession at Mammoth Cave is also managed by Kim Alexandr the same person who manages the Isle Royale operation.