National Geographic Map of ISRO

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

kfinnguy
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

National Geographic Map of ISRO

Post by kfinnguy »

Has anyone ever purchased the map of Isle Royale from National Geographic? Is it reliable? Heres a link:

http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/coup ... t/403.html
"The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences."
— Chris McCandless
Chorizo
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 19

Re: National Geographic Map of ISRO

Post by Chorizo »

It is the standard trail map. The one you'll get from the Park Service at Rock Harbor. Get it if you plan to go. The only reason you would need a different map would be for water navigation around the island.
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Backpacker534 »

I never purchased a map from the National Geographic website, however, I do own that exact map. I bought mine at a local REI store several years ago. The trails are marked so well on the island that I've never actually "needed" the map, but it's nice to have, nonetheless. The map seems to be very accurate from what I have found. I bring mine along every time. It is just nice to have the finer details that the NatGeo topo provides over the standard park map. There have been a couple times on the trail when I wanted to figure out how much distance I had remaining and was able to, fairly accurately, triangulate my position on the map based on the landforms I observed around me. The other thing I like about the map is that the "paper" is actually more like a light-weight plastic/rubber and is very tear-resistant and waterproof.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

I would encourage everyone to purchase maps, books, etc from the Isle Royale & Keweenaw Parks Assoc at http://irnha.org/, especially if ordering online, since proceeds go to the benefit of the parks. They carry virtually anything you can get anywhere else and then some. The referenced map is the "Trails Illustrated" map.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
moss13
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by moss13 »

I have this map and it is very detailed. Excellent map.
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Backpacker534 »

I actually own two of these maps. I purchased the first one 11 years ago. It was not ripped or worn out, but it had become pretty dirty and when I saw the current version I decided to buy it as well. My original map fit the entire island on one side, while the current version is a larger scale and only fits about half of the island on each side. Obviously, the larger scale of the newest version makes it much easier to read than the original style.
PatrickBDunlap
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by PatrickBDunlap »

I too have purchased the map and it is very nice for planning your next trip and getting a feel for the distance and terrain. It is also coated with a water resistant substance and gives it a slick feel although I would not pull it out in a rain storm.
Jackfish
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by Jackfish »

moss13 wrote:I have this map and it is very detailed. Excellent map.
What Moss said.
"It's only a spot on the map... until you go there!"
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

Jackfish wrote:
moss13 wrote:I have this map and it is very detailed. Excellent map.
What Moss said.
And I have used it in the rain.

No worries.