Breakfast ideas

Discuss food & groceries, share recipes, and other backcountry cooking & food-related topics here!

Moderator: hooky

upnorthjeeper
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: Breakfast ideas

Post by upnorthjeeper »

The 10 second dip sounds like the eggs are being "pasteurized". If so I have seen them for sale as such in the store, might be another option!
"Imagine living your life without being afraid to take a risk and to explore life."
-Don Miguel Ruiz
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

I do oatmeal with a couple of Mountainhouse eggs & bacon unless doing ultra-light. Then I do grape nuts and powdered milk with a couple of Mountainhouse. ALWAYS coffee though! Lately been doing the french press. Mmmmm.....
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
vitz
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by vitz »

I usually eat breakfast on the trail. I have tried many different granola bars, energy bars and GORP mixes. I discovered the PROBAR is the best and is what I take for every breakfast. It satisfies me and fills me up. My favorite is the SUPERFOOD SLAM PROBAR. Wow that just sounded like a commercial. Here is a link to PROBAR @ REI http://www.rei.com/product/758664
colvinch
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by colvinch »

Oatmeal, then oatmeal and then some more oatmeal....god it's been over 6 months and it still sounds horrible. But when you are out there and usually in a hurry to get moving it works and it lasts for a long time.

I always bring the multi-pack so it doesn't get so old, If lucky I will have either Thimbleberries or blueberries to add to it.
And starbucks instant

At the end of the week is when I bring out the mountain house berries and milk. I save this for the end of the trip so it tastes extra extra good.
MirandaL
NewbieCake

Post by MirandaL »

I'm a lox and bagels gal with a glass of fresh squeezed grapefruit juice please...
zims
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by zims »

If you want something tasty, and very filling, the mountain house breakfast skillet is worth the money. One package feeds 2-3 women or 2 men easily. We bring the infamous tortillas since they travel the best and sharp cheddar cheese which keeps well also. Make breakfast burritos. since we only use the jet boil when we are on isle royale it is perfect and actually tastes very good. Let me know what you think.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

zims wrote:If you want something tasty, and very filling, the mountain house breakfast skillet is worth the money. One package feeds 2-3 women or 2 men easily. We bring the infamous tortillas since they travel the best and sharp cheddar cheese which keeps well also. Make breakfast burritos. since we only use the jet boil when we are on isle royale it is perfect and actually tastes very good. Let me know what you think.
Agreed. We brought these on our fall IR trip. While I normally don't care for Mountain House "poofy and spongy" eggs, putting them in with the hash browns and sausage and wrapping them up in a tortilla worked well. It was a nice break from the oatmeal breakfasts. I'll certainly plan to bring them again.
Nick
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by Nick »

I like Couscous and Fruit.

At Home: Take a can of fruit cocktail, maybe a can or raspberries, or anything else and dehydrate it. Take 1/2 to 1 cup of couscous, depending on how hungry you are in the morning and toss some of the dehydrated fruit, some cinnamon or Cinnamon sugar in a baggie.

At Camp: Then, just add boiling water and let it set for a few minutes. Yummy.
voyageur kin
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by voyageur kin »

I do something very similar, but with oatmeal. All my oatmeal I premix with brown sugar and cinnamon and each morning I leave enough hot water after coffee to soften and rehydrate the dried fruit I made for the trip; mix in the oatmeal and more water for breakfast. To make it interesting, one type of fruit per breakfast- but enough to really make it a taste treat. The favorites are pineapple, kiwi and raspberries.
Mr Blister
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Mr Blister »

I have heard of people taking unpasteurized eggs. Then simply crack them into a naglene and they are supposedly good for a few days. They stress that you have to use unpasteruized eggs. It seems counterintuitive I know but apparently that's the trick. I don't know if I am as brave. Spending my time on the trail with a funky stomach and having, well. You know, Is really not a fun way to spend my trail time. Perhaps I'll let my buddy be the lab rat on that one and see what happens.
budducci
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Post by budducci »

I usually do oatmeal, and this time I did bulgur with dried fruit. It can either be made cold or hot, depending on what you are in the mood for. trailcooking.com has a bunch of good recipes.
sheepdog
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by sheepdog »

I used to eat oatmeal every morning. I now am in my pop tart phase. Two each morning, breakfast of champions.
If you find yourself in a fair fight: your tactics suck.
LeftOvers
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Post by LeftOvers »

Mountain House Eggs and Bacon are my favorite. I don't care for their Eggs and Ham at all, though. I like their newer Breakfast Skillet but it's one of their few meals for one or two that I can't finish by myself.

I like oatmeal, but it just doesn't last long enough for me on the trail - it's almost better for a dinner or dessert as far as I'm concerned.
photosean
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by photosean »

I used to take the freeze dried and dehydrated variations (try http://www.HawkVittles.com). Then I realized how long it would take to clear camp before the day's hike. So, now I take cereal and powdered milk.

1 cup of cereal (some brands) will provide around 300 calories. I use whole powdered milk, about 1/2 to 2/3 cup prepared. The milk adds another 100 calories. The only whole powdered milk I've been able to find is Nido, which is made by Nestle and sold at Hispanic grocery stores.

If I know it's going to be a long, hard day I'll take a GU energy shot w/caffeine.

Clean up is quick and I cut the amount of fuel I need for a trip by half; win-win.
Redbad
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by Redbad »

Logan Bread (and oat meal). The NOLS Cookbook has some good recipes for breakfast such as home made granola and muslix that are tasty and which can be stored in a freezer bag. You certainly will not break any teeth eating granola like you might eating Logan Bread...