Cultural Resources of Isle Royale

Questions regarding the history of the island and historical places on the island.

Moderator: drobarge

johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Cultural Resources of Isle Royale

Post by johnhens »

Came across this paper on line, thought some would like to read it.

http://iupui.academia.edu/PhilipScarpin ... ional_Park
Vandy
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 5

Re: Cultural Resources of Isle Royale

Post by Vandy »

Thanks for posting, John. It is baffling to me that the NPS would decide the buildings on the island were of no value when they took over...and burn them! Somehow, I don't think that would be case today.
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

Vandy wrote:Thanks for posting, John. It is baffling to me that the NPS would decide the buildings on the island were of no value when they took over...and burn them! Somehow, I don't think that would be case today.
It was a different world then. Hopefully they would not act the same today!
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

When the Park Service took over the Island, those with deeded property received life leases. The burned buildings were squatter's cabins and if I remember correctly from previous reading, NPS burned them in part to prevent their further use.
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
Capt Don
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 546

Post by Capt Don »

As I understand it, and this subject has been discussed amoungst the family, Isle Royale had no deeded properties. Technically, everyone that had buildings and resided on the island were squatters. Life leases were given in lieu of a payment, if you took the money you were basically selling the structures to the park service, if you took the lease you agreed that the structures became federal property and you maintained the buildings and sites in exchange for the use of them. Betty Strom, Art Sivertson's daughter who lives on Barnum Island, has been writing a book of her memoirs for her family for many years and it was published this past winter. It has some remarkable history of what life was like on the island prior to the park and after as well. It is really an interesting book and discusses this period of history in detail by someone who actually witnessed how things came to be. Betty's book is availble from the Tofte Fishing museum in Tofte, MN if anyone would like a copy to read.
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

Thanks Capt. Don for the insight. I will be ordering the book!!