Park Service may move Headquarters from Houghton

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Park Service may move Headquarters from Houghton

Post by johnhens »

Vandy
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 5

Re: Park Service may move Headquarters from Houghton

Post by Vandy »

Looks like it is directly across the river from the current site. So, you'd have to cross the bridge to get to the dock.
And, the boat ride would be the same amount of time.
Mandolynn
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by Mandolynn »

I read that article and said naughty words out loud without thinking, which was bad because I was at work and it raised eyebrows all up and down cubicle row. I know it's fine for the 99% of folks who drive to the UP to get on the Ranger, but it makes my trips to the island, already a carefully balanced house of cards, that much more complicated. With the Ranger where it is now, I can fly into Houghton, get the free shuttle from the Best Western, sleep at the Best Western right next to the dock, get up in the morning, carry my stuff downstairs and go get on the boat. Moving the Ranger to Ripley will cripple that plan. If they're smart, the Best Western will adjust and let their shuttle haul me over the bridge to get on the boat in the morning. Otherwise I guess I'd have to call a taxi. And yeah, I know there's a pedestrian walkway on the side of the bridge so I could theoretically get over the river on foot. But I don't think I would backpack along busy streets early in the morning. And this is probably an unpopular opinion, but personally, I don't find a smelter site interesting in the least. I go to Isle Royale for pristine wilderness, and climbing around old slag piles to get to it doesn't thrill me.

I don't know. I guess I should just start planning on flying over on the seaplane and skipping Houghton altogether. But I like the Ranger and I'm fond of downtown Houghton. Too bad they're making it less convenient to spend time in town.
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

Interesting article in that no one from Isle Royale National Park was interviewed. The Keweenaw National Historical Park superintendent and the township want IRNP to move the headquarters there in order to have IRNP pay part of the restoration costs and have passed some sort of resolution to that effect.

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
Capt Don
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 546

Post by Capt Don »

Just what is needed, more dollars spent for ISRO, but with no benefits realized by the users of the island. Ranger lll, a "tour boat", they're kidding, right? I'll stop now before I get too wound up.