First trip to Isle Royale

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

visladog
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

First trip to Isle Royale

Post by visladog »

Hi all... I am posting my plans to get some thoughts from people that have been to the Isle already. I have been making a trip to the Porkies annually now for 10+ years. Usually form 8-10 days at a time. I love it there. I have always wanted to plan a trip to Isle Royale, but never got around to it. This is the year.

I will be traveling with another fellow backpacker and was planning on bringing a canoe. I plan on leaving out of Houghton. This trip will not consist of as much hiking as my other ventures, since I plan on spending most of my time in the chain of lakes connected by portage to Siskiwit Lake. My trip as of now is planned for May 21-29. I have heard horrible stories on here about the bugs and am a little leery about coming in June. I will be going to Craig Lake in August so I need a couple months between trips to keep work happy. Is the last week of May not a good choice??? I know it will be really cold at night, but that is better than bugs to me!! From what I've seen it looks to be an average of high 50's during the day and 30's at night. I'm OK with that.

My first question is..... How feasible is it to canoe along the shore of Superior. I would like to be able to make it from Rock Harbor to Chippewa Harbor in the first couple of days. Of course...... Weather permitting. I've been on Superior when it is too much for a canoe and understand that I might be stuck close to Rock Harbor if the weather does not cooperate.

How is the fishing in Siskiwit, Richie, and the other connected lakes??? I like to fish and this is part of the reason I am bringing the canoe.

When they talk about no fire, does that include the little Sierra stoves that use little chunks of wood for fuel. I can't think of the proper name right now?

Is filtering the water through a MSR or Katadyn filter adequate, or do you really need to add drops or boil after??

Any info is greatly appreciated.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: First trip to Isle Royale

Post by johnhens »

Welcome to the Forums!
We haev gone the last 4 years or so the last week of May to avoid the bugs. This year, as the temps are warmer and ice out is occuring earlier, bugs will be a crap shoot, but you definitlely stand a better chance of avoiding them by going early.
Paddling Superior is an issue that will have to be addressed when you get there. If it is going to be stormy, consider the Voyageur to drop you off at either Chippewa or Malone, plus you will get more time to fish. Another option would be to paddle to Moskey and do the portage through to Ritchie and through Intermediate Lake to Siskiwit.
The fishing in Siskiwit is great, good sized northern and lake trout, which are relatively close to the surface in May.
I don't know much about Intermediate, Ritchie has good pike and perch, Whittlesley has good walleye and pike and Wood as it is connected to Siskiwit is good for pike also.

Filtering water is fine, viruses are not a problem. Not sure about the Sierra Stove particularly in soring when burn bans are encated if it has been dry. Contact the Park Service for the final word.
visladog
NewbieCake

Post by visladog »

Awesome. Thanks for the info!! Any recommendations on what lures work well. I figure spoons and Rapalas for the northern and walleye. I have never fished for lake trout or had good luck with perch.
I would guess small tube jigs for the perch?
Is there much structure in the lakes? I know when I go to Craig Lake there is very little structure to fish around.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

visladog wrote:Awesome. Thanks for the info!! Any recommendations on what lures work well. I figure spoons and Rapalas for the northern and walleye. I have never fished for lake trout or had good luck with perch.
I would guess small tube jigs for the perch?
Is there much structure in the lakes? I know when I go to Craig Lake there is very little structure to fish around.
Whittelsley has a couple of islands I woudl jig around and/or try a rapala around for walleye. Small jigs for perch are good (I like Minimites). Wood lake fish the bay opposite the bay you enter Wood from Whittlesley from, good for Northern. Siskiwit, fish the dropoffs around the islands for lake trout, I have caught them on rapalas (diving red/orange, blue/silver), KO Wobblers 1/2 oz, little cleos, and my favorite for Isle Royale, Daredevil 5 of Diamonds 5/8 or 3/4 oz.
Don't forget jaw spreaders and long nose hook releaser. Pinch the barbs on your hooks (I cut one hook off a trebel hook) to facilitate release.
Kevinl
Bushwacker

Post by Kevinl »

I second everything John said. I would especially consider having the Voyageur drop you and your boat off, gives you more fishing time.

If you're fishing near the islands on Whittlesey, which has been productive for me, check on areas to stay away from for nesting loons (this area has always been posted in the campsite toilet when I've been there.

Between the islands on Richie is great too. I've also had luck in the little southern arms across from the canoe campground there.

I'm a big fan of Mepps spinners. I've caught pike and walleye with them in these lakes, and in Chickenbone.

You'll have a great time.