Minong-Wash. Creek/Hug. Cove

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Minong-Wash. Creek/Hug. Cove

Post by jerry »

Is there anyone who has camped between N. Desor and Wash. Creek or Hug. Cove (about 1/2 way). Is there an area that the park staff would approve of or eliminate. I'm assuming you would need an off trail plan with them. I'm also assuming that there might be some places along there reserved for the loons, etc. Thanks! jerry
bergman
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: Minong-Wash. Creek/Hug. Cove

Post by bergman »

See the backcountry camping post for info on the rules.

You will need approval to backcountry camp in zone 3 for that particular night. I've never been on the Minong, but studying the topo map, there is really only one good spot, and it happens to be 1/2 way between Wash Creek and N. Desor.

If you look at the Nat'l Geo map (revised 2006), the spot i'm talking about happens to be at the point where the "10.6" trail mileage is indicated in red. Unusual for the minong, there appears to be somewhat of a plateau extending to the north, perpendicular to the trail. The trail elevation is 975' at that point, and the "plateau" extends out from the trail for nearly 1/3 mile. Plateau is a relative term and does not imply that you can see any distance; only that there is not a significant amount of elevation change, only about 25' to 40' (overall elevation change) in the first 1/4 mile.

On my Nat'l Geo map (revised 1999-older version; shows the entire island on one side of the map; not very colorful), that same spot shows a high elevation point of 990'; you would want to depart from the trail just west of that high point, when you are still at approx. 975'. N of the "plateau" where you will be camping, you will find a vast marsh, and quite possibly could find water there, unless you are past mid-season; without your pack, it shouldn't be a difficult descent into the marsh; but don't leave "home" without your compass, headlamp & rainjacket. Depending on the timing of your trip, a skeet headnet may be indispensable for this off-trail venture.

Before you do bushwhack perpendicular to the trail, take a compass reading to get a good idea of what perpendicular is. During your bushwack, if you've gone to the point where you can make out the number of passengers hanging out on the deck of the Voyageur II, then you've gone a bit too far!

The crosscountry camping rules require you to be at least 1/4 mi from any trail. That is ridiculously difficult to do, along any of the ridge trails on the island, especially on the Minong. Unless you have a GPS, it's pretty tough to figure out when you are 1/4 mile from the trail, as there's no way that you will be walking off-trail in anything resembling a straight line. After walking the better part of a 1/4 mile after leaving the trail, you may not be much further than 1/8 mile off the trail, but I would say that you have satisfied the spirit of the rule. Without a GPS, unless you are truly gifted with a compass, if you were to travel 1/4 mile off the minong, there's a good chance you might not find your way back in the morning.

Another challenge, however, is carrying enough water to hike that section of the minong. You will not be able to also carry water for cooking supper that night, so you must plan to eat something that doesn't involve boiling water; i can't imagine being able to cook anything without water.

Imagine you are doing a solo hike on the Minong. You get approval for zone 3. After walking the required 1/4 mile to get away from the trail, you suffer an injury that prevents you from hiking out on your own. You manage to pitch the tent or hammock, but in the morning light you find that your yell for help isn't carrying too far on account of the fact that you are dehydrated. Moral of the story: always carry a whistle (worth its weight in gold).
Last edited by bergman on Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gimp
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by Gimp »

I don't think you have to worry about Loons. If my memory is correct, the biggest body of water along that entire section of trail is probably where the beaver dam trail crossing is, and the only other open water sources I recall weren't much larger than a moose. I agree with Bergman on the drinking water. Depending upon the time of year, I think that finding a source is going to be your biggest problem. The few stream crossings may not be reliable.
bergman
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by bergman »

Assuming you depart from the Minong Trail just to the west of the 990' high point (approx 85 yards west of the high point), you want to follow a bearing (using magnetic north) of 3 degrees (use 2 degrees as the default).

Then keep your eye peeled for the sign that reads: "Free Wi-Fi in all rooms."! :-)

And if you want to take full advantage of the continental breakfast, be sure to set your watch alarm to beat out the moose.