Need advice on a 4-5 day trip

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

bergman
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: Need advice on a 4-5 day trip

Post by bergman »

You are NOT going to find an open shelter at rock harbor for your first night. There are 9 shelters and 11 individual (not group-defined as more than 6 people) tent sites.

As you come in on the Ranger on Tuesday, extended Labor Day weekend visitors are already "bedded down" at rock, getting poised to board the Ranger at 9am wednesday to leave the island, even though very few people really ever want to leave the island (sort of the opposite of "Lost").

So it's either travel 3 miles to 3Mile campground, where u are likely to get one of the 8 shelters there (but no guarantee, as some folks hike into rock from there to catch the Ranger's departure in time), or take down the tent at Rock (ugh!). You could go on a "water run" (hey, turning on the spicket at the campground is hard work!), while your "better half" tackles the tent tear-down. :-)

Take solace, however, as even if the tent is wet, it'll be no big deal. Folks (those leaving on the Ranger) will clear the shelters at Rock by 8 am or shortly thereafter. Bring along a light rope, string it inside the shelter, and let your tent dry while u guys are off doing whatever. This can now be "home" until u leave.

When someone occupies a shelter, they attach their 4 x 5 1/2" white backcountry permit (enclosed in ziploc bag)[provided] using a long red twist tie [provided], to the outside handle of the full-size screen door of the shelter. NOBODY will walk into your shelter when you are gone (except perhaps a ranger upon reasonable suspicion that there is something amiss).

The shelters are set back a bit from the trail. After Labor Day, NOBODY will even approach the door or front screen of your shelter, as the permit hanging on the door handle tells them it is occupied. I suppose someone could check out the permit if they were anticipating a rendezvous with another party, and wanted to check if it was indeed their friend(s).

Before Labor Day, someone might approach your shelter (especially at RH or 3Mile, where the camp limit is 1 consecutive night) to examine your stated itinerary (as shown on the permit) to figure out if you already stayed your 1 nite, and are likely to vacate the shelter later in the day.

NOBODY, including professional thieves, comes to Isle Royale to steal. The transportation (and time) cost to get to the park cuts into any $ to be made separating people from their property.

Whenever I visit, and often stay in a shelter, all of my gear is spread out on the shelter floor. Luckily, so far I have not had a problem. Though perhaps I am a bit naive and too trusting. I do, however make a point of not leaving my water filter conspicuously hanging inside the shelter screen, just for good measure, i suppose. And i usually take it with me on dayhikes anyway. I have the old Katadyn pump (made by Pur)(weighs 14 oz and kinda bulky)(can't wait to get the 3 oz Sawyer filter!!!!!).

RH, while not the ideal base camp, will afford you the opportunity to do a one-day canoe rental to accomplish 2 things: 1) paddle from the seaplane dock straight across Tobin Harbor, then hike to Lookout Louise (if the lake cooperates, u could paddle to the Hidden Lake/Lookout Louise trailhead down Tobin Harbor a mile or so); 2) explore the far western end of Tobin Harbor-very nice!

Rent the canoe right early in your trip. Boat, kayak and canoe rentals will be closing for the season shortly after your arrival. Make a point of asking when they plan to close, once you get off the Ranger (the rental person is right there, next to the same boat dock where you disembark upon arrival to the park).
Last edited by bergman on Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nym90
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by Nym90 »

There is certainly merit in taking advantage of the opportunity that arriving after Labor Day presents you with to use Rock Harbor as a basecamp and just do day hikes from there. You would have no limitation on how well stocked your pack can be, only having to lug it as far as a shelter or tent site, which would only be a few tenths of a mile from the dock at most.

You could traverse the Stoll trail to Scoville Pt. (4 miles), the Rock Harbor and Tobin Harbor trails as a loop to Three Mile (little more than 6 miles), the loop to Three Mile plus adding a side trip to Mt. Franklin (about 10 miles), or if you are up to all day hiking, could even reach Lane Cove (14 miles there and back) or do an approximately 15 mile loop to Daisy Farm, Mt. Ojibway, and Mt. Franklin. Even going all the way to Lookout Louise and back in one day would not be out of the question, though this would be nearly a 19 mile hike.

It's always best to assume that you won't get a shelter and then be pleasantly surprised when you do as opposed to vice versa. However, when I did trip one as outlined in the last post, I was able to procure a shelter at Rock Harbor right after stepping off of the Ranger, despite it being late July when the island is in "high" demand (by IR standards); of course, the fact that it was a Tuesday probably helped as opposed to a Friday. If you take the Ranger, however, you would definitely want to make getting a shelter your very first order of business upon stepping off the boat. You will already have your permit in hand from orientation on board, which helps. Even coming off the Queen, I would definitely recommend heading to the visitor center, grabbing your permit, and then taking a shelter ASAP, just to be safe.

As far as the question of whether Houghton or Copper Harbor is a better departure point, I personally prefer Copper Harbor for two reasons: the drive from Houghton to Copper Harbor itself is highly scenic and well worth the time and effort it takes to reach it, and the crossing itself is faster and you reach the island earlier in the day and also depart later in the day on your departure day, thus maximizing your time on the island.
nebelwerfer41
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by nebelwerfer41 »

Thanks for the advice everyone.