Rain Gear Question

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

one
NewbieCake

Rain Gear Question

Post by one »

Rain gear seems like a pretty important item for an Isle Royale backpacking trip. I try to keep my gear as light as possible but I am pretty hesitant to rely on something like dri ducks or some other rain gear that weighs less than 5 ounces in a place like Isle Royale. Do any of the other ultralight backpackers on here think it is worth the extra 12 ounces to bring high quality gore-tex over some of the lighter stuff prone to rip?
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Rain Gear Question

Post by IncaRoads »

Welcome to the Isle Royale Forums.

A long-standing member, alecto73, hikes UL (Ultra Light). His gear list, including rain gear, is described in the following post ...
http://isleroyaleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 721#p10831
one
NewbieCake

Post by one »

Thanks. It looks like both of them use Dri Ducks as well.
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

One thing I would add that I will never go without is Gaiters to protect your boots/shoes. Many if not most of the trails are thick with underbrush and the morning dew and/or rain can make walking a very wet experience and, once your boots get wet, they never seems to dry out and that can lead to blisters.

I've used Frogg Togg bottoms for years with no problems, but only recall actually hiking in them once as I am usually in shorts. I have a Sierra Designs rain jacket that is a little heavier than the Frogg Togg top but breathes very well and is a lot more durable. I have worn that many times while hiking.

My experience.
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
one
NewbieCake

Post by one »

I am actually trying out new gaiters for the first time. They are made in America by a small business called Dirty Girl Gaiters. They weigh an ounce and only cost 20$.
http://www.dirtygirlgaiters.com/

I have to wear gaiters because I hike in the NB Minimus trail running shoe. They are very light but they are terrible at keeping stuff out of your shoe.
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

Interesting :) Are they waterproof??
I don't know if I could handle the colors :lol: Maybe they make them in black?

Anyway, report back on how they worked on the island.
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
one
NewbieCake

Post by one »

Ha ha. They do have them in black. They are not waterproof but neither are my shoes. They are quick drying Under Armour type material.

We will see how they work out. They have worked great for Florida hiking so far.
NancyT
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by NancyT »

I use Frogg Togg top and bottom and love them. Lightweight, breathable and comfy (main concerns of mine). The only thing I didn't like about the top was that it didn't have pockets, but me being the creative type, with sewing skills, I put my own pockets in.
~ISLE ROYALE INFO~
"A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park"
http://www.isleroyale.info
Ernest T Bass
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Ernest T Bass »

My Sweet Ramona and I each had Dirty Girl gaiters (she had "Venomous" and I had "Run Forrest Run") last fall and they worked out quite well. Are VERY light weight. Also, we each had Marmot PreCip jackets and pants, and they performed very well. They are not the lightest out there, but they were certainly less than the Eddie Bauer Gore-Tex raingear that I already had. The PreCip pants were nice to wear in the morning, when lots of stuff was wet. They also function well as a wind barrier. I am sticking with these choices in the future. Good raingear is a MUST.

Cheers,

ETB
You ain't seen the last of Ernest T Bass!!!
DonNewcomb
IR Expert

Post by DonNewcomb »

I agree. Good waterproof gaiters are very important on I.R. It's typical eastern "green tunnel" hiking in many areas. Later in the season you are constantly wading through wet bushes. Gaiters help to keep your socks dry. Without them your boots will be like bathtubs.

Beyond gaiters, you need something to keep off a heavy rain. I've encountered rains that nothing would keep off but at least the Gortex kept the wind out of the inner layers.

Bring a couple extra large garbage bags in case you run into some fool who left his rain gear at home to save weight.
Kevinl
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Kevinl »

I'm pretty weight conscious, but I've never made a list. I usually just head out to the garage and grab what I think I need. Inside, I'll winnow stuff out quickly. Then, when I get to the hotel at Grand Portage, I throw everything on the bed and toss aside what I don't think I'll need until I feel I've winnowed enough. But I have spent a lot of time looking for gear on sale and lightening up that way.

The Dirty Girls are great, although as you acknowledge, not waterproof. They are more for keeping out dirt, rocks, sand. It's funny that I wear gaiters for trail running but I haven't for hiking. I've also never brought rain pants to the island. I've never felt I missed those things, although I've certainly had days with soaked socks and shoes, and days of hiking all day in shorts and rain and feeling like I was wearing soaked diapers by the end, but everything dries eventually. I'm actually pretty uptight about keeping my gear dry too, but just realize some things are unavoidable, like wet socks and knees on Isle Royale. Come sunshine, I'll take a break, switch out socks, and dry off. All my clothes are quick dry stuff. For me, the gaiters and pants are things that will get wet and I'll have to carry them wet until they dry, more weight.

I am bringing the same rain jacket I wear when running. It's a relatively light weight thin deal (Bjorn Daehlie brand I found on close out at Midwest Mountaineering, actually a cc ski jacket). It will also keep me warm and I will most likely sleep in it.

Have a great trip.
Last edited by Kevinl on Sat May 25, 2013 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
one
NewbieCake

Post by one »

I have a high quality Gore-Tex parka that weigh 20 ounces including an attachable liner for cold weather. It is great but I think I am going to go with the lightweight option this time.

On this trip, I am going to use the Dri-Ducks at 5.5 ounces. If it gets cold, I have Under Armour cold gear 2.5 base layer weighing 7 ounces. I am not sure if many of you have tried this Under Armour before but it works really well.

Thanks for the info everyone.
Ernest T Bass
LNT Expert

Post by Ernest T Bass »

DonNewcomb wrote:I agree. Good waterproof gaiters are very important on I.R. It's typical eastern "green tunnel" hiking in many areas. Later in the season you are constantly wading through wet bushes. Gaiters help to keep your socks dry. Without them your boots will be like bathtubs.

Beyond gaiters, you need something to keep off a heavy rain. I've encountered rains that nothing would keep off but at least the Gortex kept the wind out of the inner layers.

Bring a couple extra large garbage bags in case you run into some fool who left his rain gear at home to save weight.
Don,

I am always quoting to my wife your prior post about running into the person that left their raingear at home, since they had never needed it in the past, and how miserable the conditions were.

Cheers,

ETB
You ain't seen the last of Ernest T Bass!!!
DonNewcomb
IR Expert

Post by DonNewcomb »

Ernest T Bass wrote: I am always quoting to my wife your prior post about running into the person that left their raingear at home, since they had never needed it in the past, and how miserable the conditions were.
I think about that situation from time to time and how miserable that hiker was and how we were wearing just about every stitch of clothing we had and couldn't do anything for him but suggest he make for the nearest campground with shelters and the possibility of evacuation by water.
zims
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by zims »

I find it is very important to have quality raingear that will not tear or rip, and will fit over the clothing you have. Gaitors and rainpants will make all the difference in the world when the weather changes for the worst.