Float planes and butane

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

Ernest T Bass
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Float planes and butane

Post by Ernest T Bass »

Dumb question. I know that you cannot take cannisters of butane on the float plane (or any plane, for that matter). What about lighters? I have a small, refillable butane lighter that is pretty much like a mini torch. Anyone have any information in this area? I don't know that I will bring this along, but will definitely have 2 or 3 of the mini Bic lighters. Thanks all in advance.

Cheers,

ETB
You ain't seen the last of Ernest T Bass!!!
smokey brown
NewbieCake

Re: Float planes and butane idea

Post by smokey brown »

It occurred to me that when I see the Bass clan on the August 20 at Todd Harbor, you will be 5 days out and may be in need of resupply. I have a couple of undergrads coming with me and serving as "pack mules" so if Ernest T and the family need some snacks we can deliver. Seriously these kids have been working trail maintence out west all summer and considering the 40 year gap in age between me and them I was planning to put rocks in their packs for a handicap anyway. We are each below our 40 lb limit for the V2 so if you want us to pack in a few items for you, I can leave the rock throwing till we see you at Todd and hump in some snacks or fuel instead. The smokey team can deliver (and no charge).
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: Float planes and butane idea

Post by hooky »

smokey brown wrote:It occurred to me that when I see the Bass clan on the August 20 at Todd Harbor, you will be 5 days out and may be in need of resupply. I have a couple of undergrads coming with me and serving as "pack mules" so if Ernest T and the family need some snacks we can deliver. Seriously these kids have been working trail maintence out west all summer and considering the 40 year gap in age between me and them I was planning to put rocks in their packs for a handicap anyway. We are each below our 40 lb limit for the V2 so if you want us to pack in a few items for you, I can leave the rock throwing till we see you at Todd and hump in some snacks or fuel instead. The smokey team can deliver (and no charge).
This is why I like this site so much.
Ernest T Bass
LNT Expert

Re: Float planes and butane

Post by Ernest T Bass »

Hey Smokey! I greatly appreciate the offer, but we'll be doing great. Got me one of those newfangled twig stoves so I will be saving on not needing to take fuel along. My pack weight at the start (including food and water) will be right around 40 pounds (not takin' any rocks...I like to pick 'em up and throw 'em on the way). MySweetRamona should be at around 22 pounds, with Kallie checking in at around 24 pounds (she is not far out of college and will be likely in the best shape of the three of us, although MySweetRamona is a runner. I just keep telling her the faster she goes, the more stuff I am moving from my pack to hers. :lol:
The idea of the "sherpas" IS a good one, I must say. We are also going to make some "game time" decisions that may save us even more weight at the start. Look forward to meeting you at Todd Harbor!

And hooky, I agree with you wholeheartedly. These boards are a very special place, with a lot of really good folks on here!!!

Cheers,

ETB
smokey brown
NewbieCake

Post by smokey brown »

Sounds good, however if you change your mind I will be sure to check the forum before we pack on Saturday the 17th. Like to see your twig burner, been thinking of trying one. See you in Todd Harbor on Tuesday the 20th, I will be the other bald guy. Safe travels.
Ernest T Bass
LNT Expert

Post by Ernest T Bass »

You too Smokey! See you in Todd Harbor!