Newbies first trip to IR

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Re: Newbies first trip to IR

Post by jrwiesz »

terry.dunn wrote:... On another subject, I was reading through about the camp grounds. Is there a problem that there is none open?...
I'm not sure if you mean "closed" or "full"?

There is always a possibility that in June-August, some camps may be full, but, I believe this would be rare.

As far as closure, I believe there may be such, to "protect" employees, the public, the resource, or the flora and fauna. Park employees would know/inform about this closure when you are filing you planned itinerary.

I'm quite certain you will always have a place to set up camp; occasionally, you may have to "share" camp.

I hope this answers your question.
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
terry.dunn
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by terry.dunn »

Yes it does jrwiesz, I did mean "full" and not closed. Thanks
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

terry.dunn wrote:I was reading through about the camp grounds. Is there a problem that there is none open? I mean it might seem like a stupid question...
No such thing as a stupid question (even with the advent of Google). :roll:

Yes, it is possible to have camp grounds fill up. *Especially* in the busy season (July/Aug/Sep), and on the east side of the island (Rock Harbor area). This is the only time and place I've ever found a campground full (and one of the reasons why I prefer the west side of the island).

If a campground is filled up, its not like you're hosed. You are not expected to hike back to the next campground, which could be many miles away. Instead, you're authorized to use a group campsite as overflow. We had to do this in August...in Rock Harbor. A ranger showed up and asked us why we were there, and when we told him that the Rock Harbor campground was full, he said "OK, have a nice day," and went on with his business. This is your first option, should you find a campsite full.

A second option is sharing a shelter, which is very common. Don't be afraid to find a shelter with only a couple of people in it and ask if you can bed down with them, ESPECIALLY if you're a solo hiker.

Don't sweat a campground filling up. Plan your trip accordingly. If everyone spent their time worrying if a campground was full, they'd be adding more undo stress to their planning. I would never let it even cross my mind. There's many other things to worry about than a full campground, like "did I bring enough warm clothes," "will the boat/seaplane be able to take off on my departure date," or "wow, this is a lot of rain and now this "creek" is actually a river I have to forge." These are all things I had to worry about in my time on Isle Royale. Hopefully they don't make you worry more, because the first one is completely preventable (tip: think you'll need it? JUST BRING IT,) and the other two are well beyond your control. Adapt and overcome.
terry.dunn
NewbieCake

Post by terry.dunn »

Thanks fonixmunkee,

I appreciate your insight, I won't worry about it, Im looking forward to the adventure!
terry.dunn
NewbieCake

Post by terry.dunn »

Can anyone tell me what the distance is from Daisy Farm, up to Lookout Tower then back down the Greenstone to Three Mile CG?
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by JerryB »

SHHHHH! Don't tell folks that the West Side camps don't fill up, you will jinx us!

I am not sure the comment above, that if a camp is full you are authorized to use a group site, is totally correct. While I doubt there would be any problem from a ranger if the group site is not reserved (as in the case above), I think it is different if it is reserved. Groups can reserve these sites and, indeed, have to do so. Also, these are often used by youth groups with a couple of chaperones who are responsible for the kids. If I were one ( a chaperone, not a kid), I would not be comfortable with this. There are other discussion threads on this point, but I believe sharing individual sites is a first option. Obviously, we must all be reasonable. If it comes to a choice between asking to share a reserved group site and hiking back to another camp, I cannot imagine anyone making an issue of it
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

terry.dunn wrote:Can anyone tell me what the distance is from Daisy Farm, up to Lookout Tower then back down the Greenstone to Three Mile CG?
I get 6.7 miles.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
terry.dunn
NewbieCake

Post by terry.dunn »

Thanks Ingo, I appreciate your help.
SoonerDad
NewbieCake

Post by SoonerDad »

Solo is fine, especially if you stay on the more popular trails
zims
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by zims »

Welcome Terry
You will be ok on the island in regards to the campgrounds. All the shelters are first come first serve, but if the weather turns on you, people are usually friendly and will offer room to share. From what I gather this year in June there will be a short closure at McCargo Cove for repairs on a boardwalk. Some of the boardwalks can become slippers as well as rock areas. You shouldnt have any problems finding a spot for a tent, and even if you are a single camper, you have the same rights to a shelter if one is available., Enjoy your trip
terry.dunn
NewbieCake

Post by terry.dunn »

Thank you Zims, I have everything booked for Aug 5th and I do now have a hiking partner. A friend and I were talking and he said he would love to go on the trip so we got him signed up. Cant wait. I love this forum and all the experience shared on here.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

terry.dunn wrote: I have everything booked for Aug 5th and I do now have a hiking partner. A friend and I were talking and he said he would love to go on the trip so we got him signed up.
Just like beer, Isle Royale is better when shared with friends. Looking forward to your trip report.
TerryDunn
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by TerryDunn »

Tomorrow I leave at 7am for this long awaited adventure! Will be on the island Friday, so can't get it out of my head. Thank you everyone for you advice, Im feeling excited and confident
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

Have a great trip Terry!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by jrwiesz »

Don't forget to eat you fruit daily!
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne