Hiking Boots vs. Hiking Shoes

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

WMI Hiker
NewbieCake

Hiking Boots vs. Hiking Shoes

Post by WMI Hiker »

Greetings, All! New to the Board but not new to backpacking on Isle Royale! I am returning to Isle Royale this August for my 50th Anniversary of my first backpacking trip there when I was 15 and hiked the Greenstone down to Windigo, then back on the Minong to McCargo Cove back on the Greenstone to Rock Harbor. I was hooked and subsequently hiked there with friends or family another dozen times or so and was blessed to work on the Wolf project back when I was in college. One of my daughters and I hope to repeat that epic hike this summer! I have begun my training for it.

I've shifted from backpacking to wilderness canoeing the last 25 years and I see there are many more foot options for hiking. So my question to you all is: which would you use to backpack on Isle Royale -- a Hiking Boot or Hiking Shoe, and why?

Thank you!
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Re: Hiking Boots vs. Hiking Shoes

Post by torpified »

what a wonderful journey to be planning! I'm looking forward to reports. I hope that side-by-side 2022/1972 photos aren't too much to hope for.

Footwear is awfully personal. If your training gives you the latitude, experiment to find something that works for you. For me, the number one consideration is minimizing the threat of blisters, which can ruin a trip a lot quicker than walking a little slower (because your shoes are heavier) or packing a pair of camp shoes (because your walking shoes are lightweights). Your best bet is probably to let the results of the poll/battle you've started here inform your own choice of what options to explore.

My vote for IR: lightweight mid-height waterproof hiking boots, if I'm expecting the trails to be sloppy; burly trail runners otherwise. I usually expect the trails to be sloppy. La Sportivas fit me great out of the box, so I tend to go with them. It chews up my REI dividend in a hurry . . .
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

I'm still a full boot guy, mostly for ankle support, even though I'm usually in a canoe (or portaging). But heck, I know of end-to-end hikes in sandals and even Crocs, so obviously it's a very personal thing. Ok, the Crocs weren't by choice, but the scout made it.

Have a great trip! Father/daughter trips are great!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
HoosierHiker1202
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by HoosierHiker1202 »

I just went from Windigo to RH last summer (first trip to IR). I just wore a mid-level hiking shoe from Columbia. They were waterproof and rugged enough to handle the terrain. Worked great for me. I definitely appreciated having my Birkenstock’s in camp, though.
First trip- June 2021 - Windigo to Rock Harbor
June 2022 - Moosewatch for Educators
glitch99
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by glitch99 »

Welcome, WMI. I made my epic return to IR last year after a 37 year absence and it far exceeded my expectations! Hopefully your trip does the same.

I'm a big proponent of trail runners for most conditions other than snow. I converted from full-leather waterproof boots last year before my trip to IR and won't ever go back. My reasons are:
1. Lighter shoes = fresher legs. I'm far more likely to mis-step and turn an ankle on tired legs - with or without ankle support. Even on the rockiest stretches (parts of Windigo to Feldtmann Lake, last mile out to Lane Cove) I nimbly picked my way through the ankle busters. I've read elsewhere that 1 pound off your feet is the same as 4-7 pounds off your back.
2. Waterproof rarely is and boots take a long time to dry. If it's raining or you step in a deep puddle, water will find a way in. I'd rather have a shoe that's going to dry faster once it gets wet.

As with any gear change, adequate training to adjust is a must. My ankles were sore after the first couple loaded training hikes, but were fine after building up some strength. I can honestly say my feet were happier after 70 miles on IR (including the "easy" stretch of Minong from Todd Harbor to McCargoe) in trail runners than they've been after short weekend hikes in boots.

I use an earlier version of these and highly recommend them:
https://www.rei.com/product/184467/altr ... shoes-mens

Looking forward to your trip report!
84 WC-FL-SB-DS-HL-DF-RH
21 Win-FL-SB-DS-TH-MC-LC-RH
WMI Hiker
NewbieCake

Post by WMI Hiker »

Thank you for all of your helpful input. I very much appreciate it. After considering the options, researching, and my dear Wife's advice (retired Physical Therapist) I'm going with a Salomon boot from REI (just got my dividend today!) My Wife feels that because I am 65 and have two artificial hips (and I did slip down a rock on a portage trail carrying a big Duluth Pack wearing my Keen H2O's in the BWCA two summers ago and sprained my ankle) that I need maximum foot and ankle support. I hope to order them this week so I can begin breaking them in and then start some distance walking to train.

On another topic... have any of you ever used the spring that was below the old Feldtman Fire Tower? I wonder if it is still there. Was incredibly cold and refreshing!
Grandpa
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Post by Grandpa »

For what it’s worth, I’ve run the full gamut of backpacking footwear.

In the 80’s I wore the obligatory, state-of-the-art, heavy duty, stiff, full-leather “waffle stompers” (Fabiano). They required a 50-mile break-in, but they lasted for years. They protected my feet well from rocks & roots but were heavier than necessary. We used wax (Sno-seal) to water-proof them.

Later, I switched to much lighter full-leather boots (Scarpa). It was a significant improvement.

A few years back, I switched to Gore-Tex, leather & fabric boots (Solomon) that are lighter yet. They still have a stiff sole and good ankle support.

I use “trail runners” (Merrell) for hikes on local trails and fitness walks. Obviously, they’re the lightest of all with a more flexible sole. They’re not at all water-proof, but they dry relatively quickly. I find them quite comfortable for most hiking.

For the more rugged trails found on Isle Royale, I still prefer boots for their ankle support & firm footbed. But I freely admit that it’s a personal choice; perhaps influenced by my age.

I hope you have a great trip!
First visit 1982. Last visit August, 2022. Isle Royale is my favorite National Park!
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by thesneakymonkey »

I’ve exclusively worn trail runners on the island. My husband prefers a hiking shoe. I like the breathability, quick drying, lightweightness of trail runners. My feet feel far less fatigued and are blister free at the end of the day vs wearing boots. I’ve done many long miles (including the ridges) on wet and dry island conditions. I only bust out the boots when there is lots of snow now. That said, footwear is a very personal choice. Everyone’s feet will be different.