Need help finalizing itinerary

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

MongooseBoxing
NewbieCake

Need help finalizing itinerary

Post by MongooseBoxing »

Could y'all help finalize the itinerary for a 9-day trip at the beginning of June I'm doing with 4 friends? Here's the CalTopo map I put together:
https://caltopo.com/m/JRLH0

We're planning to hike it clockwise and I feel pretty good about this route but would love to hear any tips or advice for it, or any changes we should consider.

I still need to plan out water sources on this map so we don't hike with too much or too little water (I know too much water is much better than too little, I just want to make sure we aren't carrying too much weight unnecessarily on some sections). The main thing with this is identifying the longest sections of this route that won't have a water supply. I'm guessing those parts will be along the Greenstone Ridge and the Minong Ridge. Could someone help with this? Is carrying 3L of water each on these long dry sections enough?

Thanks!
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Re: Need help finalizing itinerary

Post by dcclark »

Those are some very long days. I would not attempt that kind of mileage myself.

Do you all have experience backpacking that kind of distance, with that much weight, on this type of terrain? (Compare it to the north shore of Minnesota, or the Porcupine Mountains.) I would strongly recommend a shorter trip unless you are absolutely certain that you can do this, and have the experience to prove it.

Do you have a zero day planned? I see 9 full days listed, but a break will almost certainly be necessary due to weather, injury, or just to keep yourself from being over-worked.
MongooseBoxing
NewbieCake

Post by MongooseBoxing »

Yes we're all guys in our 20s with experience with long trips. Day 5 is a zero day (it's listed as 5 miles right now, but we're still figuring that day out, ideally we'll rent canoes in Windigo).
MongooseBoxing
NewbieCake

Post by MongooseBoxing »

Also this is the absolute longest we would do, I'm still thinking about shortening it in some sections (like removing the Huginnin Cove loop) but I'm confident we'll be able to complete this.
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by dcclark »

OK!

About water: Generally there are not good water sources up on the ridges (e.g. Greenstone and Minong), so you'll need to plan to carry your full water needs those days. But whenever you're near Lake Superior, you'll have no trouble getting water if you need it.

That said, for the long sections, 3L will be more than enough, 2L if the weather isn't too hot. The exposed ridges can be hot, but that's not too likely in early June.
MongooseBoxing
NewbieCake

Post by MongooseBoxing »

Got it, thanks! Also I already shortened the route a little since posting this. I did take out the Huginnin Cove, and shortened the route around Chickenbone Lake after leaving McCargoe Cove. So this is the breakdown of miles per day, I think it should be just the right amount. We'll be spending a lot of time fishing too.

Day 1: 12.51mi
Day 2: 10.75mi
Day 3: 8.47mi
Day 4: 11.54mi
Day 5: canoeing/zero day (weather permitting)
Day 6: 15.86mi
Day 7: 12.9mi
Day 8: 12.33mi
Day 9: 6.70mi
Total: 96.05mi
sparky49931
NewbieCake

Post by sparky49931 »

It's manageable provided you all are fit, experienced, and no one gets injured. You're not going to be pulling thousands of feet of elevation gain in a day... but be prepared for generally SLOW trails. Lots of rocks, roots, and arrow uneven tread. There will be lots of windfalls not cleaned up yet and potentially flooded sections of trail.

Weather has been absolutely gorgeous the past week or so, but be prepared for real possibility of high 30's, low 40's at night with rain and soggy conditions.

3l of water should be adequate in early June as daytime temps should be moderate.

I would consider altering your itinerary to go past Ojibway Lookout on the first day... The view from up there and along the ridge really provides a great perspective on how the island is laid out topographically and seems to be an "aha' moment for many people.
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

one observation: your present day 6 (Windigo to Little Todd), your longest, covers what many people consider the toughest stretch of trail on your whole loop---the rocky outcrops between Little Todd and S Desor. Many people, including me, also think it's the most fun! It's absolutely doable---I'm a little old lady and I did it last year---but it's something to keep in mind when framing contingency plans.

It'll be great fun to experience the Greenstone and the Minong in one trip! Please report back!