Week-long sit-on-top kayaking trip?

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

justchecking
NewbieCake

Week-long sit-on-top kayaking trip?

Post by justchecking »

Say we've got a sit-on-top kayak and want to do a 2-man, 7-day trip in mid-August. We're experienced, fit hikers but beginner kayakers. How reasonable would it be to kayak-on and portage-between inland lakes like Whittlesey, Wood Lake, the edge of Siskiwitt, Intermediate, and Chickenbone? It seems like the portages might be painful, and Siskiwitt can be rough when windy, but otherwise this is reasonable?

Say we wanted to consider going from Birch Island to Belle Isle to Lane Cove. Looking at forum posts, it seems like the Birch Island to Pickerel Cove stretch is risky. To be clear: is this possible on a sit-on-top kayak? How likely would it be that we'd need to turn back, and how feasible would it be to abort safely if conditions are poor?
RedLeg
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Re: Week-long sit-on-top kayaking trip?

Post by RedLeg »

Sit on top kayaks really aren't a good choice IMO. I've don't the inland portages in a packraft. Paddled Siskiwit lake, Moskey Basin and Malone bay in 15-20kn winds and it was suspect. I wouldn't even consider a sit on top kayak anywhere out of Rock harbor or Moskey basin.
22' Moosewatch #4
22' RH-CI-MB-IL-WL-CH-MB-RH / 13d packraft
21' RH-DF-MB-CH-MC-MB-3M-RH / 11d
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

I feel even stronger, that there isn’t any place on I.R. for a sit-on kayak. I’ve seen them and I’ve also met folks that have capsized and been rescued or self-rescued. Any inland lake can be rough and dangerous, Siskiwit is just the biggest and most likely. A much better idea is to rent a canoe and go from McCargoe to Chippewa. You should have a craft designed for where you’re going, and paddlers without strong skills should stick to the inland lakes.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
backwoods doc
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by backwoods doc »

Completely agree with Ingo (who has a lot more experience than I do). The McCargoe to Chippewa (or Malone) trip is great. My favorite campsites are Richie Canoe, Intermediate and Wood, and Whittlesley has the best fishing. Look forward to seeing more moose than people when you paddle the inland lakes. If you're heading out from the MN side, the good folks at Bear Track can get you set up with a Kevlar canoe.
2018, 2019, 2021 (all inland lakes by canoe); 2022 X2 (RH and WC); 2023 HC
JavaHiker
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by JavaHiker »

Many years ago, a friend and I portaged Siskiwit-Intermediate-Ritchie and back over 5 days in a light tandem canoe, and I have always wanted to return to that area. Having said that, I agree with the senitments above. IMHO paddling and portaging is a whole different game from hiking, and Isle Royale takes it to an even higher level.

My wife and I have taken 17-foot sea kayaks to the park numerous times but stick close to the shore when we paddle. We also have a 14-foot Pamlico and a 15.5-foot Carolina (both with bulkheads) that we have taken on numerous extended trips in the BWCA and Quetico because we are comfortable with utilizing the available space and portaging them.

Thoughts to consider: What is the length and weight of the kayak? Have you practiced portaging over uneven ground for long distances? Have you practiced self-rescue? I would urge caution about paddling a loaded vessel on some of those remote lakes without getting some experience first. They can be surprisingly cool/cold and squalls can come out of nowhere, especially on Siskiwit.
"Observe. Absorb. Create. Share."