Route thoughts

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Mont324
NewbieCake

Route thoughts

Post by Mont324 »

Hello All, been lurking for a number of years and enjoy strolling through here. Went to the island 30 years back with my Dad and in ‘18 with him and my oldest son but got cut really short due to illness at DF on day 3. Now my son and I are headed back next week 18th-24th from Copper Harbor and we are super excited!! What are your thoughts on our route? He is a very active 13YO with energy for days. I am 42 and in great physical shape. Currently I am thinking RH-LC-MCC-MCC-CH-MB-DF-RH. Feedback appreciated!!
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: Route thoughts

Post by Midwest Ed »

Given your descriptions and history on The Island, your itinerary appears very OK to me. You have a zero day layover planned to either relax or recover. I suggest you move it closer to the end of your route. Using it up so early prevents its use later when maybe needed the most. It can sometimes be best to plan on not using it at all, until you need to. McCargoe Cove is popular for a 2 night stay but Chippewa Harbor and Daisy Farm can offer additional day hikes or exploration of interest. Moskey Basin can be a very relaxing location. Also, if things are not going as well as planned you have the option to skip Chippewa Harbor in order to add a 2nd zero day or stay at Lake Ritchie to reduce mileage.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

it looks great! I find the MCC-CH walk, which traverses the length of the Indian Portage Trail, particularly satisfying.

If you do spend a layover day at MCC, and have energy after exploring the mine, I bet you'd enjoying venturing far enough down the Minong Ridge trail to get a taste of the rhythms of its ridginess---the way it weaves up and over and off of and around rocky outcrops. Getting far enough to enjoy the views over Otter and Beaver Lakes would to the trick, but you might have so much fun that you'll carry all the way on to Todd Harbor!
Buckeye
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by Buckeye »

I'd recommend an early start when leaving Lane Cove to increase your chances of snagging a shelter at McCargo. It gets very busy there, especially at 1pm when the Voyager drops passengers. Double check the water conditions at chickenbone, an algae bloom makes for a long dry hike from LC-MCC.

If you want to save MCC for a zero day later in your trip, you could figure 8 your route like this: RH-LC-MB-CH-MCC-MCC-DF-RH.

Have a great trip with your son!
11 DF-WC-MB-3M-RH
14 CH-MB-DF-3M
18 CH-MB-MC-DF-LC
19 MC-MB-3M-RH
21 FL-SB-HL-EC-RH
23 ML-HL-LT-ND-WC