Any Thoughts About this Itinerary?

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

lsue63
NewbieCake

Any Thoughts About this Itinerary?

Post by lsue63 »

We are planning a 6 night trip. Taking the seaplane to Windigo, our plans are, first night Windigo, then South Lake Desor, Hatchet Lake, West Chickenbone, Daisy Farm, last night at Rock Harbor. How hard is the hiking from Windigo to South Lake Desor? Anyone have any suggestions for the trip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Any Thoughts About this Itinerary?

Post by Ingo »

lsue63 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:51 am How hard is the hiking from Windigo to South Lake Desor?
That's one of the easier sections of trail on the island. Although I haven't hiked between Island Mine and S Desor, it's a gradual uphill to Island Mine and the trail is rather rock and root free compared to other trails.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
lsue63
NewbieCake

Post by lsue63 »

Thanks Ingo.

hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

Island Mine to S Desor is basically a walk in the woods that you'd experience at any midwestern state park. The toughest part is the portion from the Greenstone junction to the campground on S Desor.
Last edited by hooky on Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
lsue63
NewbieCake

Post by lsue63 »

Thank you

JavaHiker
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by JavaHiker »

Ingo wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:08 am
lsue63 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:51 am How hard is the hiking from Windigo to South Lake Desor?
That's one of the easier sections of trail on the island. Although I haven't hiked between Island Mine and S Desor, it's a gradual uphill to Island Mine and the trail is rather rock and root free compared to other trails.
Note that there is a difference between the Island Mine campsite and the location of Island Mine itself. The former is a ~1/2 mile downhill from the Greenstone Ridge and Trail, the latter is a mile off the Greenstone Trail, down and then back up and over Red Oak Ridge to the site. If you take this side trip, either to camp or just see the mine site, consider taking extra water as there is little to be found in this area, especially in dry years.
"Observe. Absorb. Create. Share."
lsue63
NewbieCake

Post by lsue63 »

Thank you for the descriptions. Probably will save a trip to Island mine site to do another time. I have been wondering if there is a reliable water source along the hike from Washington Creek to the S Lake Desor camp site. Sounds like nothing we can count on? Was hoping water would be available at Island Mine Campsite.

dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by dcclark »

The stream at Island Mine (campground) is reliable enough -- I don't recall ever hearing of it actually being dry, but you usually will need to prefilter since there's lots of "bits" in it. But in general, I recommend carrying a full day's water on the island. Unless you're on one of the Lake Superior shoreline trails, water tends to be hard to come by.
lsue63
NewbieCake

Post by lsue63 »

Thanks for the information and advice.

S_R_L
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by S_R_L »

dcclark wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:57 am But in general, I recommend carrying a full day's water on the island. Unless you're on one of the Lake Superior shoreline trails, water tends to be hard to come by.
2nd this. I would never plan on stopping along the way for water unless some sort of emergency popped up. I've carried 2-3 days worth of water on occasion due to algae blooms.

Re: Island Mine
Isn't there a "better" stream north of the campground closer to the Greenstone?
'22: RH-LC-DF-MB-CH-DF-3M-RH
'21: RH-DF-MB-MC-HL-Malone-SD-WC ~75 miles hiked including side trips.
'20: WC-FL-SB-IM-WC
'18: RH-DF-MB-ECB-DF-RH
'16: RH-LC-DF-TM-RH
'14: WC-HC-WC
lsue63
NewbieCake

Post by lsue63 »

Thanks! I’ll try to find out if there are algae blooms anywhere before we head out there.

hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

lsue63 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:12 am Thanks! I’ll try to find out if there are algae blooms anywhere before we head out there.

The park usually does a pretty good job of posting the algae bloom info on the site.

https://www.nps.gov/isro/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

You'll also get the info during you LNT orientation and itinerary submission.
lsue63
NewbieCake

Post by lsue63 »

Thank you! We are arriving by seaplane, will we still get the orientation?

dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by dcclark »

I think only large groups of visitors (e.g. when the Voyageur boat comes in to dock) get the orientation. When we arrived on the seaplane this year, there was a sign telling us to self-register at the visitor center. A ranger did come out to check on us, but we didn't get a full orientation. But, they also post any critical info (like algae blooms) clearly on the visitor center bulletin board.
lsue63
NewbieCake

Post by lsue63 »

Thanks. I have been wondering about that. When I went last time I arrived on the boat, and the ranger shared a lot of helpful information during the orientation. I’ll get all my questions together and ask them before we start hiking.